Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 181 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

@Alan_E wrote:

Hi Andy,

My URL is no secret in fact it is a very popular site  please look. I am using Correct LE to connect . It looks like you are correct  the failure message is, "data overflow". I have deleted some files no longer required and have been able to upload new files. Although one of the files uploaded but does not show on its web page , probably a separate issue that I will need to check. I have had my pages for many years and did not realise there was a limit or had forgotten .  I guess all I can do is keep within the limit set by cutting back some areas and making pictures files smaller. In pre-broad band days I was no doubt more conscious of doing this. Is there any was of knowing the limit and finding what my total is ?

Thanks for your help and advice

Regards Alan

Visit Alan's Meccano pages

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.esplen/mecc.htm

Excellent news Alan.

I liked your Meccano stuff too! I have a No.10 set in the wooden drawer kit (as well as lots of other stuff, motors and the steam engine). I have the green wallet of No.10 instruction manuals too and others. Well, I say I've got it, it's still at my parents house Smiley Very Happy

I went to the Odiham Fire Engine show back in August, and there was an excellent display by a Meccano chappie who had made some beautiful fire tenders in Meccano :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywebgallery/sets/72157624614355145/

(there are 4 Meccano pictures in the set)

Might be worth setting up a flickr account an sets for your photos too.

As for how much webspace you've used .... I always have a "PC" version and can hover over the folder name within windows explorer and it shows the disk space used. It's a pretty good indication of use.

There are other ways, e.g. in a CMD window, using "dir /S" from the main folder of your "PC" website wil also show the usage. Not sure about Mac or Linux stuff etc.

For the files that are not showing, make sure you've got the correct upper/lower case for the files and indeed the html links. BTinternet webspace is case sensitive, which I expect you're aware of, but it's easy to miss something when uploading.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 182 of 207

Greetings all,

Ok cool that you got this sorted out Steve.  Just sorry the issue wasnt picked up when you first pointed it out Andy_N

I have fed this issue back now to try and get it corrected and will post up here again when I find out a bit more about it.  Thanks for letting me know what the story is here.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
davemitch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 183 of 207

Just resurrecting this thread again!

My brother has just called me asking if I can access the BT FTP server, he's trying to upload to it and can't. I've replaced my laptop recently so I've had to download & install Filezilla, but I'm getting exactly the same on both my personal BT Internet webspace, and the one he's trying to change.

Is anyone else getting the same issue? It connects OK, the says "Waiting for Welcome Message" then times out!

The only other thing that is different from the last time I did this is that I'm on a new ADSL connection (20Mb as opposed to 8Mb0 and I'm using a HH3 instead of a Netgear. However my brother's internet is unchanged.

Thanks

0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 184 of 207

Yes seems to be a problem. I can not connect using winscp, just times out but my website is there.

Peter
0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 185 of 207

I received an email from BT yesterday saying that they are closing their free web hosting. I suspect that this may be the start of that closure process...

0 Ratings
daveindevon
Contributor
Message 186 of 207

07:50 Thurs 24th May 2012.  I have just connected using SmartFTP and updated a page just to check - all is OK. Initial connection took a while - about 10 secs, slower than normal, but the new file transfer was quick.  I am hoping it was just a glitch, I really don't want to go through all this again - if so I will definitely move my pages!  Happy days!!

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 187 of 207

Can't connect here, just timed out.

I can still view files already uploaded, so it seems the server is still there.

0 Ratings
daveindevon
Contributor
Message 188 of 207

They're closing it down soon - this from another thread:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39105/

I will move all my pages to my BT Business space.  What fun!

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 189 of 207

Thanks for the liink, not good news.

I still can't log in to start moving files.

"With your pages and images saved offline, you can recreate your site with another web hosting provider."

Sod off and go somewhere else or you can start paying for a previously free service, seems to be the basic message.

All part of the decreasing service and increased costs to long-term customers, while offering cut-price deals for new customers.

0 Ratings
rocky8bg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 190 of 207

Seems to be working again ATM
0 Ratings