cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Managing Device Access Schedules - Smart Hub 2

Hello,

Following the issues BT are experiencing today with some people not being able to log into their accounts (including me) I find that I am unable to manage the internet access for my devices (set up access schedules or block/allow access on an ad-hoc basis). 

It seems strange to me that this kind of device management can't be performed via the Smart Hub 2 config pages (default 192.168.1.254) and that I instead need to use an app on my phone.

I have the following questions:

1.  Is using a phone app really the only way to fully manage individual device access schedules for my network?

2. Is there away to use a local administrator account for access to the app rather than depend on an account that is linked to BT's authentication servers?  After all, I am only trying to manage my router config (I appreciate BT account is still needed to access their wider network).

Thanks,

Rob

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Managing Device Access Schedules - Smart Hub 2

@AlienArtefact wrote:

It seems strange to me that this kind of device management can't be performed via the Smart Hub 2 config pages (default 192.168.1.254) and that I instead need to use an app on my phone.

It is a security measure to prevent the person you are trying to limit access to override your settings.

1.  Is using a phone app really the only way to fully manage individual device access schedules for my network?

Yes

2. Is there away to use a local administrator account for access to the app rather than depend on an account that is linked to BT's authentication servers?  After all, I am only trying to manage my router config (I appreciate BT account is still needed to access their wider network).

Unfortunately not, you need to login to your MyBT account to access the settings, the whole point of the excercise.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

It is a security measure to prevent the person you are trying to limit access to override your settings.

A security measure, yes.  An appropriate security measure, no.  Why should the management of my local network be dependent on remote authentication servers?  If BT is having server issues then it adversely affects me more than it should do.  The person who's access I am trying to limit would be prevented from overriding my settings even if security was managed at the local router level.

(I accept if unauthorised people have physical access to the router then that opens another can of worms - but I expect the Smart Hub2 is overwhelmingly used in people's homes and small businesses.  Larger organisations require more robust enterprise grade security measures - If my kids factory reset my router I am very well going to know about it!).

Yes

That's a shame.

Unfortunately not, you need to login to your MyBT account to access the settings, the whole point of the excercise.

The whole point of the exercise is to only allow permitted individuals to manage my router configuration.  This ideally (in my opinion) could be managed via local router security rather than remote BT security.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Don't shoot the messenger. Just explaining BT's reasoning.