I'm not sure why but in the new email system there seems to be a lot of emails coming trhough with what looks like mangles subject fields. I include some items as follows.
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your Tesco Mobile bill for =c2=a318.00 is ready?=
it should say
Your Tesco Mobile bill for £18.00 is ready
I'm guessing there is something odd happening in the translations. Curiously the emails loading into my mailstore backup are not giving the incorrect titles.
I do get some spam emails for Mcafee renewals that are clearly not valid as i don;t have McAfee that i just dump into the spam boxes but legitimate emails seem to be failing as show by the example above. I also wondered if it was because my wife had forwarded the original to me but when i checked the original it seems to be the same.
When I checked the headers info (the raw mail data as defined in mailstore) it seems that the characters should be translated by the relevant reader in this case webmail but its not working properly. Mailstore does translate correctly. I'm guessing its an issue with webmail system perhaps.
Apart from suggesting not to use webmail are BT still looking into possible coding issues like this or are there settings in webmail that can stop this happening.