Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olly330
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Manually Disconnecting/Connecting Router & DLM

Hi,

My BT Infinity 1 is due to be connected next week and just received homehub5.

As I understand it, in the initial week or 10 days DLM will be monitoring the line and making adjustments as necessary. I know it’s a no no to unplug the router/modem during this time as it can cause DLM to think there are faults causing the modem to disconnect.

Problem for me is next week I have an electrician coming who is rewiring part of the house hence power will be on and off frequently.

I want to try and avoid DLM thinking my line is a mess and have thought of a possible way to do so. Every time power needs to be cut to the house, before doing this could I:

1. Log into the router
2. Manually disconnect the broadband connection (not adjusting anything other than disconnecting/connecting the broadband connection)
3. Now turn off power to the house.

Does manually disconnecting/connecting from within the router affect DLM?

I am hoping by manually disconnecting the broadband connection the router wont report that the line is suddenly being disconnected, hence kind of tricking it into thinking everything is ok. Only once I have manually disconnected will I turn the power off to the house - and then when the router comes back up again it will hopefully just see it as connecting back from the manual disconnect?

As technically the router will not drop the connection to the modem, the connection to the modem will stay live, only the broadband connection that is offered to users is being disconnected.

I hope the above makes sense, and hoping it will possibly allow the router to be unplugged without it reporting drop outs to the DLM.

Please let me know your thoughts.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Manually Disconnecting/Connecting Router & DLM

If it was mine Iwould do as you are suggesting. Disconnect from net using hub facility then unplug and only connect to power after electric in finished and power back on. Should be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

DLM works on your line constantly, it is not just for the 10 day period.

On the days that your power is going to be disconnected I would power down and disconnect your Homehub and leave it powered off for the duration of the electrical work. Once the electrical work has been done and the power will not again be turned off, reconnect your Homehub.

Do this each day that work is being done.

One power down per day will not cause any effects on DLM. It is repeated power off and on that cause DLM to lower speeds to try and maintain a stable connection.

olly330
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thats good to know, thanks for both replies.

I can forsee some days that I will need to go out on school run for a short while while the electrician is left in the house.

As I dont want him just turning off the power to the house, would it be ok for before I leave for me to log into the router and disconnect the broadband session so its shows as 'disconnected' but is still synced with the modem - hence the modem has not disconnected and is still live.

And then when I come back in simply log back into the router and hit connect to restart the session, effectively just pushing the broadband back live again to the router.

At least that way, if he does flick the switch and turn everything off at least the modem should know that it was a manual disconnection - and if when I get back and electrician hasnt turned power off I can just reconnect without any ill effects recorded.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

It's the modem that need to be disconnected. I had wrongly assumed that you had a Homehub 5 which has an integrated modem.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Sorry I misunderstood. If you use a modem and router then turning off router will make no difference to the DLM as it is the modem that connects to internet so it is modem that needs to be powered down and disconnected when electrician working

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Just re-read your original post.

You have said you have received the Homehub 5. Presumably you will be using that. If you are using it as it is intended to be used, ie plugged in to the telephone socket and using its integrated modem, you will need to ensure that it is switched off/disconnected prior to electrical work being done.

If you are using it in conjunction with an Openreach modem, you will need to make sure that the Openreach modem is turned off/disconnected prior to the electrical work being done and at the same time you are as well switching off the Homehub which in this instance is being used only as a router.

olly330
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for the replies, it's good to understand how these things work.

It is a homehub 5 - sorry for the confusion caused in my second post, I was referring to the inbuilt modem.

So, as far as I understand, I just have to log in to the home hub 5 and disconnect from the pppo? session thing. Then it's good to power down.

What actually happens when you disconnect the session, does it tell DLM that it's all good and not caused by a fault?
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Hi olly & welcome!

My Belt and braces way of avoiding the dreaded dlm's attention would be:

Hold down the reset button on the hub 5  10-20sec until the lights flash and then press the power button to the off position. Next switch off and unplug from the (3 pin) mains socket.  Holding down the reset button before switch off will send a message to the dlm.

Also leave the hub 5 off for a least 1 hour and 15mins before pluging back in and pressing the power button back on. 🙂

0 Ratings