cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EastEnder
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: Massive Broadband Usage - Could it be the Ipods?

Hi There

I've now managed to do that and have written down the usage and will keep checking on a daily basis.  In the meantime I've checked the independent monitor on my daughter's laptop and it shows an upload yesterday of 3.23MB between 16.00 and 17.00 which tallies with the BT Usage Monitor.  However, we've no idea what this upload could be.  I've gone into the Windows Update screen in System & Maintenance and it says that there was a check for updates yesterday at 16.19 but nothing has been installed in the update history since 11 May.  Could this check be the culprit? 

0 Ratings
EastEnder
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

I've just realised that I haven't given you all the information. The monitor on the laptop also has some download info:

Download: Total 111.3MB, Max: 87.9MB

Upload: Total: 3.23MB Max: 2.7MB

Whilst I'm still interested in what this could be, I was being a bit thick when I said it tallied with the BT usage monitor.  The BT usage monitor actually says that we used 3GB yesterday (I was getting confused between the MB and GB!).   My PC monitor shows zero usage and all other wifi devices were switched off yesterday lunchtime so I just can't believe that this is our usage. However, I will know for definate tomorrow as the ipods will have been switched off for the whole 24 hours so it will definately be only my PC and laptop that are connected. 

With regards to the home hub, thought it might be worth showing the readings in these messages:

Connection Time - 12 days, 2:20:23

Data transmitted/received (MB) 93574.83. 5075.34

Not sure whether these actual numbers are meaningful - they don't seem to tie in with the monthly usage from BT of 38.98GB but I will check them again tomorrow so that I can see the increment.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Hello,

Those stats from the Homehub show that you have transmitted 94GB and received 5GB in 12 days! I think you should find out which PC is doing it and disconnect it from the internet unless you want another shock.

Please could you just re-check what the Homehub stats says as that seems awfully high and the wrong way round?

Are you running any filesharing software (uTorrent/Bearshare/uShare/Limewire etc) and allowing people to download your Music/Videos?

Have you checked your PCs for a Virus/Trojan/Malware?

If I were you I would remove all devices ( including PCs ) in turn and find out which one is burning through your allowance by checking your Homehub regularly and switching off all PCs/Wifi on iPhones/Wifi on iPods last thing at night. In the meantime you might want to consider upgrading from Option 1 to Option 3 - you then can't be punished for going over your allowance. You can upgrade here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32959/c/346,402,424

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 18

@EastEnder wrote:

I've just realised that I haven't given you all the information. The monitor on the laptop also has some download info:

Download: Total 111.3MB, Max: 87.9MB

Upload: Total: 3.23MB Max: 2.7MB

Whilst I'm still interested in what this could be, I was being a bit thick when I said it tallied with the BT usage monitor.  The BT usage monitor actually says that we used 3GB yesterday (I was getting confused between the MB and GB!).   My PC monitor shows zero usage and all other wifi devices were switched off yesterday lunchtime so I just can't believe that this is our usage. However, I will know for definate tomorrow as the ipods will have been switched off for the whole 24 hours so it will definately be only my PC and laptop that are connected. 

With regards to the home hub, thought it might be worth showing the readings in these messages:

Connection Time - 12 days, 2:20:23

Data transmitted/received (MB) 93574.83. 5075.34

Not sure whether these actual numbers are meaningful - they don't seem to tie in with the monthly usage from BT of 38.98GB but I will check them again tomorrow so that I can see the increment.

Hi.

As mentioned those stats from the hub look strange, particularly the transmitted figure of 93GB. As I've said, it's hard to tally against the online meter as the online one will show a day in arrears and from the beggining of the month (and includes total usage). The hub stats may indicate it's 12 days, but the usage figure is not always reset when the connection time is reset.

Hence the hub stats can only act as a guide in general - however if checked daily for comparison and the figures from the previous day deducted, it can be pretty accurate.

What usage monitor is being used on the laptop ? And were there any other devices in use yesterday at all ?

The 3MB upload figure in the hour is not actually that large to be frank - but it does need some detail about what was being "done" at the time - e.g. skype or other messaging services being used. General web surfing won't typically upload much data. Don't forget that the word "upload" doesn't mean a file, it means usage - hence anything sent to the internet (e.g. MSN messages) will be counted towards this "upload" figure.

0 Ratings
EastEnder
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

Hi There

Thanks for your latest comments - just thought I'd send you the latest stats as I really don't understand what is happening.

- all ipods were switched off for the full 24 hours

- we had just 2 computers on - the independent monitor says that we used 47.4MB yesterday.  The usage monitor we are using is thinkbroadband.  One slightly odd thing is that we downloaded two songs from ITunes on my PC but the usage monitor is saying zero usage.

- the BT usage monitor says that we used 4GB

- the home hub new figures were:

Data Transmitted: 97115 (yesterday's figures 93463)

Data Received: 5280 (yesterday's figures 5066)

We have nothing else connected so I just don't understand how the numbers could be this high. Surely if we were using this it would show up on the independent usage monitor. Is it possible that the Hub could be faulty? 

THis usage has already cost us £90 in additional charges.  I really don't want to go up to unlimited use and be stuck on a contract (£20 more per month) when I really don't believe that we can be using this.  We haven't ever had any problems prior to joining BT so my instinct is to cancel my subscription rather than upgrade but I will wait another day and disconnect everything as you have suggested to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

0 Ratings
EastEnder
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

Sorry - another questions. How would I check for viruses?

Also, just to confirm that we don't do any file sharing.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Hello,

Well the good news is that the Homehub figure (4GB when you add together upload and download agrees with the Usage monitor 4GB). It means it's not the iPods, but it's something else.

The bad news is that this 4GB was "sucked" from your Home network. It was not you downloading that caused the problem, someone was downloading from you (or you were uploading). You aren't running lots of webcams are you? If I were you, I would get myself Anti-virus protection quick sticks and find out what the heck is happening with your systems.

BT recommend NetProtectPlus (which is not free for Option 1 customers) , but lots of people use either Avast or Microsoft security Essentials as free alternatives. AVG is another alternative, but the free version doesn't handle Trojans so is a chocolate fireguard.

Microsoft link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx

Make sure you run a full scan after updating (not just a quick scan).

0 Ratings
everybodylovesjoe
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Hi,

Another thing to check is that your wireless network def is secure. I would recommend changing its name and password (make sure the password is unguessable and difficult to brute force attack, something like F59fjjak!@vjs?a849 would do nicely, just make sure it's long and makes no sense). Also change the wireless encryption settings on your homehub to WPA2. There are good guides on how to make these changes on the BT help section of the website, so if you're not sure how to do this have a browse here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/hub/c/346/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwNzk1NDkzNi9zaWQvUVkyX2Zvd2s%3D#h=ImNhdD0zND...

As other people have mentioned, the upload figures look very high - something is transmitting a lot of data over your home network. Unless it turns out that somebody else is using your wireless network, it's likely that on one of your computers you have peer to peer software running or a virus of some kind. On each computer try bringing up the task manager (by pressing control+alt+del, then clicking task manager) and then google the names of any running processes to see if they are peer to peer software which you didn't realise was on your computers. If you have got a virus and aren't sure how to remove it than that's really beyond the scope of this forum, BT offer a subscription service called Home IT Call where someone will stay on the phone with you and talk you through every step of checking your computers for software which could be causing this problem. They can also I believe take remote control of your computer (with your permission) and work on the issue themselves. It might be worth subscribing for a month to get this problem sorted, or even better ask them if they can offer you a one month free trial or something like that.