The HTC Desire handsets aren't locked to the BT network, so you shouldn't need an unlocking code for them. The only locked ones were the HTC s620 and the s710 handsets. And the old Nokia 6136 before them.
Finally had a call back from BT on this subject today - and it was bad news!
1. BT say the data charges must be paid ( I think the reason is that they only sub-contract the network from Vodaphone!).
2. They refuse to accept that we did not use the data gratuitously and were unaware that the **bleep** phone was up to something.
3. The position seems to be to accept no responsibility for the phone/software they provided.
4. I have made a final & possibly stupid offer to pay the data charges at the same rate as they charge for data bundle but I'm not optimistic.
I'm very disappointed especially as I was promised on the 29th July that they would be able to "sort it out". Any suggestions as to where I go next?
My observations/questions are:
1. You should not be selling consumer phones capable of burning that amount of data without providing clear instructions on how to cap accounts at the point the phone was provided.
2. The customer service performance in this case is below woeful - is it worth bringing this to OFCOMs attention?
3. I will now cancel every piece of business I have with BT - Sky here I come!
4. Any one had experience of cancelling a contract and returning the phone under these or similar circumstances? What's the legal position?
5. The whole price increases 10-20X when you exceed the data limit scam on GPRS needs investigated.
6. How many forums etc will I have to go on to generate £500 worth of -ve publicity for BT 🙂
Bumping this in the hope of a forum MOD or someone with experience of breaking one of these contracts will reply 🙂
Final update - account has now been credited but only "because we said we would on the 29th July", phone has been locked out for 6 weeks - getting re-instated later today.
One interesting point left - in the midst of the dispute I was told that I should have requested a hard data cap on the account i.e. at 512MB or maybe 50MB over to allow for occaisional over use, however as we were resolving the dipute today I asked the operator about installing this on the account and was told it does not exist - can anyone confirm one way or another?