Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 108

Massive drop in download speed at peak times

Go to solution

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could advise me on what I can do about an infuriating issue with my BT Infinity broadband: I'm a new customer, I've had the service for less than a month and when it works, I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately, at peak times (evenings and weekends) performance is painful. I've included a few screenshots below of speedtests at different times of day over the past week or so.

Here's a screenshot of my bthome.home troubleshooting page:

bthomehub.home.PNG

Here's the details I get when I pop my number in the availability checker:

availability-checker.png

Here's the sort of speedtest results I get first thing in the morning or during a weekday:

20151002-0700.PNG

And finally, this is typical of a weekday evening or weekend result (just took this test 10 minutes ago, in fact):

20151004-1850.PNG

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look at all right to me! All the service status pages I've checked suggest there are no known issues at my local exchange.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Likewise, if there's any further information I can provide to help further diagnose the problem, please let me know.

Best regards,

Barney.

107 REPLIES 107
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 108

Re: Massive drop in download speed at peak times

Go to solution

You have tha max connection for infinity 1.  Your connection time is less than 1 day was that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

was the btspeedtester done with a wired connection ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 108

Go to solution

Hi imjolly! Thanks for your swift response.

I rebooted the router manually to see if that would help. It seems to have made no difference though: I still see good performance off peak and slow download speeds at busier times.

When I performed the speedtest I was using a wired connection. I also went ahead and disconnected all the various iPads, phones etc so my laptop running the test was the only device using the connection.

Best regards,

Barney.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 108

Go to solution

Be very careful about rebooting the router too often, as DLM could see the disconnects as a fault and raise your SNR (signal-to-noise ratio), which could lower your line speed to a level which it deems "stable" and sometimes, when DLM does this, it can take a while for DLM to release it again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 108

Go to solution

Thanks. I understand that rebooting my router regularly could cause it to appear to be having problems which in turn could cause my line speed to be lowered temporarily to try to achieve a more stable connection.

(I do wonder, if it's such a problem, whether perhaps the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test page shouldn't include the following in the list of steps to complete before performing a speedtest: 5. Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.)

I don't see how that's relevant here though? The download speed first thing in the morning and during the day on a weekday is perfectly good. In the evenings and at weekends it's abysmal. Right now I'm seeing speeds of 1.73Mbps down and 8.65Mbps up. This contrasts with 37.63Mbps down and 8.96Mbps up this morning. This pattern of performance has been on-going.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate there will be a difference between on and off peak speeds - I don't expect to get 38Mbps 24 hours a day - but going down to a download speed of less than 2Mbps doesn't strike me as reasonable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 108

Go to solution

Interestlingly, a good proportion of the most recent posts on this forum are about very similar sounding issues to this one:

1. BT Infinity 2 peak time speeds
  2. Infinity 1 was 39Mbit, now 2 evening/weekends
  3. BT Infinity 1 <2Mb at Manchester
  4. BT Infinity 2 Throttling

I wonder if that's a coincidence or symptomatic of a wider problem? Eitherway, I hope a solution will be found soon.

Best regards,

Barney.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 108

Go to solution

Hi BarneyG,

I've been a BT infinty customer for about 3 years, and have experienced some ligntening speeds, however of late am experincing similar issues.  just today my connection speeds were down to 2.6MB down and 0.5 up, after doing a line test with BT it has apparently idenitified an internal fault which was corrected, and now we're back to 29mb down and 16mb down.

During day time it's normally fine, but weekends/evenings it is sometimes snail pace

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 108

Go to solution

as we speak speed has now dropped to 5.5 down and 12 up, its all over the place

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 108

Go to solution

Hi Richard,

It sounds like you're having similar sorts of issues to me. Incredibly frustrating, isn't it?

No change at this end; at 0345 this morning and again at 0700 I was seeing rock-solid 38Mbps down. When I get back from work at 1725 it's already dropped to 8Mbps. By 1845 it's dropped further to 3Mbps and now it's practically stopped completely at 1.4Mbps.

In all my speedtests my upload speed remains solid at around 8-9Mbps. Is that not conclusive proof that there is no problem with my line or infrastructure? I might as well pay half as much and have plain old DSL that at least works reliably.

The advice from @BTCares on Twitter was to change the wifi channel I was using! Smiley Sad They then asked me to send them an email which has gone unanswered for 24 hours.

Given I'm only seeing 1/40th of the performance I should, I wonder if they'll accept me paying only 1/40th of my bill this month? Somehow I doubt it...

(I should say I am indebted to the efforts of the community here; clearly none of these issues are within the control of anyone but BT and the input, suggestions and general bonhomie found in these forums is much appreciated).

Best regards,

Barney.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 108

Go to solution

Hi,

I've been having the same issues today and yesterday. Yesterday I was throttled to about 8mbs, and today it hovered between 2 and 4. However about 5 minutes ago, the speed shot up to about 20 (I have 38mbit infinity). This definitely seems like peak time throttling. Will be on the phone to BT if this keeps happening. Not happy

0 Ratings