cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amatos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Massive slowdown and recurrent connection drops. No issues with wiring. Shall I replace my router?

Hi,

I'm with BT regular broadband and I used to have consistent download speeds of around 7.2 Mbps. This has dropped to 0.60 Mbps over the last 2 weeks, and for the past 2 days we had recurrent connection problems with the router  - we have a Home Hub 5 and sometimes it displays a web page stating there's a connection problem and asking us a bunch of questions. These invariably end with the router asking us to restart it. 

We had an engineer coming to our place today and check the cabling. He didn't found any issues outside the house or with the cabling going to the router itself, and he saw a clear connection of 8 mpbs. No problems with the phone socket, and we are connecting the right socket too. He suspects there's a problem with the router.

I just found it a bit odd, as we had the router replaced a few months ago. If the router was indeed not working correctly shouldn't we expect it not to be able to connect at all?

The router logs seem to show a clear connection at 8 Mbps:

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=8243Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=19.3dB

But my computer only gets 0.60 Mbps, even if connected directly to the router with cable.

Any ideas? Should we get a different router than the HH5?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Massive slowdown and recurrent connection drops. No issues with wiring. Shall I replace my route

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).
Must be done with wired connection 

Enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number.  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
amatos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Massive slowdown and recurrent connection drops. No issues with wiring. Shall I replace my route

Hi,

Here's the information as requested:

ADSL stats (posted earlier): 

14:54:35, 03 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=8243Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=19.3dB

Broadband availability checker:

BroadbandAvailabilityChecker.PNG

Performance test:

PerformanceTest.PNG

Troubleshooting test

troubleshootingtest.PNG

I've got a SSFP Infinity socket, which from what I understand also works with normal broadband. Router connected to the top socket, phone socket below unused.

I haven't tried the quiet line test as I don't have a phone, but the engineer that came over didn't find any issues with the cabling. Again he saw a clear 8 Mbps connection to our router. 

Nothing wrong above as far as I can see. Could the router be faulty? I just find it a bit strange - if indeed the router is faulty I would expect it to stop working entirely instead of slowing things as they are. But I don't really know about these things.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

there certainly something wrong with your stats

down speed 8243kbps is good for your estimated speed and is adsl2 but your up speed is 448kbps which is max for adslmax and this is confirmed by profile of 0.45mb

your btspeedtster reult is showing a download speed of 246.46Mbps which s wrong for ypur conenction

assuming it is the HH4 I would try 1 factory reset using the recessed button the back and holding until lights flash then check the stats from the logs and also run btspeedtster diagnostic test and repost the stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
amatos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Yes, of course.

I've got a HH 5 by the way. Here's the factory reset message from the logs:

11:45:35, 05 Jun. Reset button pressed - full factory reset

And the message with the stats a bit later:

11:47:36, 05 Jun. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=8347Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=17.1dB

The new test results don't look so good:

PerformanceTest2.png

troubleshootingtest2.png

This is in line with what I'm experiencing, so there's progress at least.

There was an option to run a third test where you need to change your broadband username.  I decided not to run it, but let me know otherwise.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

don't bother with other test

was btspeedtester done with a wired conenction?

0 Ratings
amatos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Yes, it was with a wired connection, but I've run them again now to confirm. I'm getting different results now, so maybe I kept the wireless connected by mistake. I've double checked with the control panel now and the results below are definitely with a wired connection:

PerformanceTest4.PNG

troubleshootingtest4.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

download speed looking a lot better but upload speed still low

0 Ratings
amatos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I've just run another test, double-confirmed it's a wired connection, and disabled everything else connected to the internet. The results are pretty bad. It seems to be fairly unstable, and probably my first test this afternoon was indeed wired.

PerformanceTest5.PNG

troubleshootingtest5.PNG

I'll call BT support tomorrow morning. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

It looks like your line cannot make up its mind if you are on adslmax or adsl2+.  Your btspeedtester results have a download speed faster than your profile which should not be the case

0 Ratings