cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heartland
Message 1 of 8

Master Socket Issue

Would like to take up option of Infinity now it's available in my area, anything has to be an improvement on my current BT rate of 2 Meg.

However the current master socket is in the hall and I want everything in the living room where it is now. I have read about the Master sockets issues and rang the Sales line last night and asked about moving the master socket.

The operatives initial reaction was effectively "what's your problem have the modem and hub in your hall" - I don't want that , I don't have the space. The next solution is the data extension kit - again I don't want a lead running round 3 door frames to get to my living room. After putting me on hold for a while he came back with the princely sum of £205 to move my master socket. I asked him whether there was any possible movement on price - No.

Anybody else hit this wall - I am pretty aggrieved having been loyal to BT Internet for many years, £205 is a joke.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Master Socket Issue

Do you have any phone extensions from your master socket that run into the room you want the modem?

If so, then just tell the Engineer and he will move it for you, they don't charge, well didn't when I had Infinity installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

He moved my master socket from Lounge to upstairs back bedroom, runninmg wires outside. When I said I thought they were only supposed to do inside. He shrugged and said it was part of the service.

I offered him £20 for doing it as I wanted it but he wouldnt accept it.

As said many times on here cup of tea & bikkies works wonders.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dignity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I had mine moved to, I was also worried like you because I wanted everything in a separate room and I didn't want extension cables everywhere. I read around and apparently they are not allowed to drill holes in your home only holes into the house? So I drilled the holes before they came and he just pulled the wires through. Job done.

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Mine drilled two holes thro the wall!!!!!

0 Ratings
kaiserchief
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Lady install engineer drilled hole to get my socket into the study upstairs - was really happy to have my equipment upstairs!! Thanks BT
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

The engineer will move the master socket if nesscessary to where you want the modem/router. The engineer might have to add an aditional wire running back to the old master socket if extensions come off this point.

0 Ratings
MadGamer1988
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I had my master socket in my hall originally, and when I had infinity installed, the engineer moved it from the hall to my lounge, with no problems.

0 Ratings