cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Master Socket Question

Hi there

recently moved and brought my BT Broadband option 3 with me. No Infinity in the area yet :0(

anyway the house is full of Apple gear and sonos all requiring very demanding broadband. I noticed downloads and connection speeds very slow. I did a test and was 0.3mbs!!

i checked the master socket taken the front cover off, re doing the test using the TEST Socket and get 5.5 mbs (much better) however i place the front cover back on & do a retest and back to 0.3mbs. Problem identified!

note: the modem/apple capsule connectd to extension lead but possible to move to master socket but i need the front cover on as the ADT alarm is connected via an extension otherwise i would just use the test conection all the time. I guess if the master socket is corrected then the extensions probably be working better!

Do i need new face plate at the master socket? if so which one? or is this something a BT Engineer will come out and fix at no cost?

thnks in advance

Mark

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Master Socket Question

You can change the faceplate yourself, but look here for a temporary solution to your problem.

Temporary fix for test socket connection, to keep phones working

If you also look at the following link, it tells you how to change the front faceplate. That part is your responsibility.

Improve your ADSL broadband connection speed

Near the bottom of the pge.

Installing an adsl filtered NTE5 Faceplate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Thanks i give the temporary fix a go for the short term.
But the wiring appears all in order so i dont understand why once i put the lower front plate back on the broadband speed reduces!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@mark09 wrote:
Thanks i give the temporary fix a go for the short term.
But the wiring appears all in order so i dont understand why once i put the lower front plate back on the broadband speed reduces!

Its a very common problem, when you put the front plate on, the bandwidth available for the broadband signal is reduced, because signal is lost down the extension wiring which is connected to the back of the removable section.

Also the wiring will pick up interference which upsets the broadband.

Sometimes removing the bell wire on pin 3 can help, that is fully described on this website.

If you use my temporary fix, or change the faceplate, you will not need any microfilters on the extensions.

0 Ratings