Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CliveS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Master Socket and Lightning - who pays?

Go to solution

We had an Openreach Engineer out on 31-10-2013 to replace our master socket after lightning damage. It had damaged the surge arresters. We have now been charged £129.99 to have this replaced. I thought BT/Openreach were responsible for the master socket. Has there been some change of the conditions in our contracts to put the onus now on the subscriber? I am a BT customer and this is not doing much for me to stay with them.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 34

Re: Master Socket and Lightning - who pays?

Go to solution
Bit of a grey area when it comes to lightening damage.

If the surge came down the phone line then you shouldn't have to pay.

If the surge came from somewhere else, i.e. your house was hit by lightening and it sent a surge down the line then the charge is correct. Well, in openreaches eyes it is anyway.
0 Ratings
CliveS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

House not hit by lightning, my phone was also damaged. We have had this probl;em before and always fixed free of charge. We have also had our homehub replaced 4 times because of lightning - also free of charge. Our area is prone to lightning damage because of long telephone lines in rural area - this will all be in Openreach statistics for the area.

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution
That's not the kind of statistic Openreach will care about or probably even put onto a fancy spreadsheet with formulas and graphs.

The only statistics they care about is;

Money
How to make more money
How to use that money to make rediculous sums of yet more money
Then how to make a little more money on the side.
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

Can you get any legal advice from your Insurance company as it is a Product or service you are getting. They may be able to help.

A lot of people have this Legal advice sometimes free as part of teir Insurance cover.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
CliveS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution
Will have a look at house insurance. Still awaiting a response from BT. I think this should be for the National Press so people know what is happening.
CliveS
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution

Our area has had numerous failures due to lightning strikes, with some homes blowing out master sockets twice in a month. AFAIK no one's been charged.

0 Ratings
CliveS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution
Thanks for reply. Not sure why we have been charged this time, change in policy? Monet-grabbing?

CliveS
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

I believe its down to how the engineer classifies the call. Personally I'd be getting the Mods involved and arguing as it's a fault on a protection device beyond the customer removable face plate (i.e. beyond the point where your permitted to work on it) and it wasn't caused by you or your equipment.

At my office we've been through about 3 ISDN30 termination boxes in the last 3 months thanks to lightning strikes.

0 Ratings
CliveS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution
How do I get a Mod involved?
CliveS
0 Ratings