Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 23

Re: Master socket and mains supply

Go to solution

@SteveWest wrote:

Many thanks for the really helpful pictures...I'm beginning to have some very serious second thoughts about this!

If the engineer arrives and can only offer an installation that is totally "aesthetically unacceptable" to miy wife....and she sends him away, without installing it, how much will BT charge me?

This is from the terms & Conditions:

Cancelling the Agreement

1. You may cancel your agreement for BT Infinity by contacting us at any time up until the service start date. However you will be liable to pay for any work that we have started or done to install any equipment.

That might include Openreach's appointment time.

To be safe if you are at all unsure about having it, make sure you cancel before they come out..

"aesthetically unacceptable" The engineer might not be able to do that,but you could do that later.

But to be honest even in my double bedrooms  I have 4 x Double sockets, 5 doubles in the lounge, surely you must have some sockets within a reasonable distance.

Don't you use electricitySmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding "aesthetically unacceptable", I was thinking that, if it was installed like the one in Nige's picture, I'd have the modem box half way up the wall in my lounge (the lounge phone socket is in the window alcove, above window sill height, so is about half way up the wall). I'm assuming this would be my new master socket (as the existing one isn't even inside the house!)

There are no electrical sockets on the same wall as the phone socket. The nearest electrical socket is about 4 metres away, but there is a doorway in between. The next nearest is just over 8 metres away, measuring round the walls of the room, and is in a corner of the room where we have a desk and computer (and currently an old BT home hub). When I signed up for Infinity, I was told that I would have a new modem and hub to replace the old one, and I rather hoped they could go in the same place, standing on a windowsill beside the computer ( a different windowsill from the one where the socket is).

The last time we did up the room (about a year ago), I put in an ethernet cable that is concealed by going partly through a wall and partly behind a built-in book-case, to allow the telly to be connected to the BT hub for watching iPlayer, etc. It would be very handy if the new hub could be in more-or-less the same position as the old one, so that I could continue to use this.

I suppose the very best solution would be to have the new hub where the old one is, but to tuck the modem away somewhere out of sight...preferably in the box where the old master socket is, outside the house, but of course there is no mains available there. Certainly, siting it half way up the middle of the lounge wall is not going to be acceptable. So, I'm very seriously thinking abouut cancelling the whole thing 😞

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Hi

I would have thought that the phone socket you have your old hub connected to could be changed over to accept the new modem, would that not work out ok all you would need is a mains for the vdsl modem and one for the hub.  

0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Nige

Agreed...provided the engineer is happy to convert that socket to a new master and is happy to provide a 10m cable from this socket to the modem...and the modem can be put alongside the hub and doesn't have to be screwed to a wall. A lot of this seems to be at the discretion of the engineer, though, which makes me very nervous about the whole thing.

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

You will find the majority of the engineers very accommodating especially with the offer of tea/buscuits.

0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Well, I rang BT customer service and explained the situation:

- I have signed up for Infinity, based on a telesales call.

- When I looked at the website, it said I need 2 mains sockets near the master socket.

- In our house the master socket is in a box outside the house with no mains (and as far as I remember, the wiring for the slave sockets is all jammed into an IDC connector and the 'socket' is not even actually used)

- Will the engineer be prepared to make the necessary modifications to my system (moving master socket and making up extensions, etc), or should I cancel the order because my premises are unsuitable?

They said the best plan was to let the engineer call and see if there is a technical solution that he was prepared to do, and which is acceptable to us. If not, they said I could cancel the order at that point with no charge. They also said they would make a note on my file to that effect.

So that's what I'm doing. The appintment is set for Wednesday, so I'll give an update after that.

To be fair, I have always found the BT engineers to be very helpful in the past, and a lot of houses round here have the same set-up, so I'm hoping for a satisfactory outcome.

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
jamesr70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

The engineer can run a cable from the new master socket to another room if needs be outside the house and back in through a wall. Then at this location a phone point is used to connect the VDSL BT Infinity modem. Another option would be to put a new master socket somewhere else (e.g. where the main computer is) and put the BT Infinity modem and router there. The existing socket would be connected to the new socket.

In our house the socket in the hall has the new BT Infinity blanking plate and the phone line that goes to the lounge plugs into that. From the data socket a Cat5 cable runs internally upstairs to the office. In the office is the phone/data socket for the BT Infinity modem. This in turn plugs into the router and that connects to my Gigabit ethernet switch.

Putting the BT Infinity modem and router near the main computer using a WIRED Ethernet connection is best. Try not to use wireless if you can. I get near the 40Mpbs download speed. Over a poor wireless connection you might not get the full speed of the BT Infinity connection. And next year there is talk of increasing the speed to 80Mbps (40Mbps is an artificial cap .... it can go faster).

0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. When I drove out this morning, I noticed a couple of Openreach vans at the cabinet and some more down an adjacent road, so I think they may be doing a few installations around us, this week. If so, they will have hopefully already encountered my initial problem, which is that the master 'socket' (in fact it doesn't have a visible socket as such) is in an external box, with no power nearby.

Hopefully, they will be able to turn one of my existing sockets into a new master and run an extension from it to somewhere useful, where there are power sockets available. Ideally, this would be beside my computer, as you suggest. I think the only problem might be if they think that the modem needs to be screwed to the wall. My wife is quite happy with a fairly elegant (!) computer in the corner of the living room, but a modem screwed to the wall would not go down well 😞

The alternative might be to stick the modem and hub somewhere else in the house but, as you say, this is not as good as a wired connection. There's a thick wall that goes across the middle of the house and incorporates the chimney breast. Wifi doesn't go through it very well so I definitely want the kit to be the same side of this wall as my main computer.

On the other hand, super-high speeds are not that much of a priority. My current broadband download speed is usually around 1.8Mb/s and it shouldn't be too hard for Infinity to make an improvement!

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
Cleric
Contributor
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

@SteveWest wrote:

The alternative might be to stick the modem and hub somewhere else in the house but, as you say, this is not as good as a wired connection. There's a thick wall that goes across the middle of the house and incorporates the chimney breast. Wifi doesn't go through it very well so I definitely want the kit to be the same side of this wall as my main computer.

Probably not the answer you want but after the install you could buy a stylish Draytek 2750n and put a set of 5db aerials on it.

I had a wi-fi problem caused by living in a late 1960's Faraday cage aka Rectory - even before the new aerials it was a case of wireless whoosh now whoosh whoosh and my elderly neighbour who is a very light surfer enjoys a better connection as well!!

😉

0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

"Probably not the answer you want but...."

Noooooo, nooo! I really don't want to turn my living room into a data centre!!

...but thanks for the suggestion Smiley Wink

0 Ratings