cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Master socket faceplate renewed.

Just curious - this is not a desperately important query:-

My old ornate Georgian brass master socket faceplate was changed yesterday for a BT Infinity installation.

The old faceplate has an RC circuit mounted on it, for filtering, presumably.

However there's a component in a glass envelope, Symbol SP1. This will be a spark gap?????

I wasn't aware that spark gaps were used in UK. Iv'e seen them in tropical countries (S.America) and know that they are used in USA. Spark gaps are used commonly in power equipment. They are ok when used once, but not in power equipment applications, as the equipment can be hit several times in a storm.

More to the point: are spark gaps in common use? And what about the new faceplate?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Master socket faceplate renewed.

Does it look like this ?mk2vdslpcb.jpg

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the interest.

There's just a 47k resistor and a 1u8 capacitor, with the cylindrical spark gap(?).

I'll get a photograph later as the battery in the camera needs a charge. It's good at macro work however.

I was just thinking that the cicuit would withstand a surge, but the printed ciicuit would vapourise, as with experience in industry, where you would replace the words "printed circuit" with "surge arrestor" or "metrosil".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

I'm having a problem inserting the picture. Once more.....This one has survived for 19 years, so your later version, which appears to be well designed should last just as well. Two sealed spark gaps apparently.

Faceplate1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Big problems with posting at the moment.

Here's a repeat message.

Photo of old faceplate attached. It has survived for 19 years, so your well designed version shown should last just as long.

Two surge protectors apparently.

Faceplate1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

I can see both posts with the picture fine 😉
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

@ray_dorset wrote:
I can see both posts with the picture fine 😉

Thanks.

These small details are not obvious until you start looking into them.

There's a good explanation on the Kitz website pages. They are the nearest you will get to seeing a full schematic of the new VDSL faceplate.

The old socket spark gap was associated with the ringer circuit.

0 Ratings