Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 39

Master socket fail.

Go to solution

Unbelievable but true, my BB connection was non existant this afternoon so I rang BT tech support India who advised me to unscrew the lower half of the master socket. Then I plugged the filter directly into the socket behind the face plate and as you can see, I am back online. Smiley Surprised The connection speed is not brilliant but it works.

I now have to leave the face plate hanging out of the wall if I want BB to work. The TS guy told me to buy a new socket, does he think I am a DIY engineer? Anyway I could fit a socket no bother if BT wants to send me one.

The question is, will BT send me a new fangled socket, one with the filter built in, or will I have to book an engineer? 

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Master socket fail.

Go to solution

That is a simple job. BT will not pay as its on your side of the master socket.

Instructions are on this website.

Improve your ADSL broadband connection speed

Look under Installing an adsl filtered NTE5 Faceplate

for a temporary fix to keep the phones working see.

Temporary fix for test socket connection, to keep phones working

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution
My original master socket worked for more than 10 years and was in good working order until BT changed it for this one which has barely lasted 6 months. How is that "my side" BT supplied the duff socket, I am amazed that I am expected to replace it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

Do you have any extensions connected to the master socket, when the cover is replaced? ie, are there wires connected to the back of the removable part?

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

Yes, there are 9 wires connected to the back of the removable part. 3 extensions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution

Well, the reason it works so well in the test socket, is because the extensions are now isolated.

Two things can cause a drop in speed. Interference picked up on the extension wiring, or something that has recently been plugged into an extension which is upsetting the broadband signal.

It best to totally isolate the extensions from the broadband signal, which is what a filtered faceplate does.

My "temporary fix"  will cure the problem until you can change the faceplate.

Its quite possible that the conditions on your extension wiring have changed since BT fitted a standard faceplate.

Thinks like Plasma TV sets generate a lot of interference which can be picked up on extension wiring.

Sometimes you can improve things by simply removing the bell wire, as shown on that link I gave you.

But a filtered faceplate is a much better option.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

I am not so sure myself, my BB always worked fine until I got the HH3 then someone at BT decided I was getting more speed than I was paying for so they throttled it down to a point where I had no connection at all. 

I found this out after having an engineer visit, he checked everything in the house, changed the master socket etc before admitting defeat, then he had to go to the exchange to get the blerdy thing working again. A 5 minute job if he started at the exchange to begin with. 

I am now left wondering if they have throttled my speed once again, even though I am connected directly to the master socket, the speed is not that great. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution
It sounds more like your IP Profile has dropped because of the disconnections you will now need 3/5 days stable connection for your profile to rise again automatically you are not being throttled
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

What are your current ADSL Statistics

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

This is great, re-set the hub and it won't accept the admin password. 

0 Ratings