Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shyne
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Master socket help infinity installation

Go to solution

Hi everyone, need some help here. Got my infinity engineer coming in on monday. Had to move stuff so there is access to the master socket,  theres no power socket near it so i read that they will relocate my master socket. So I decided to workout a route convienient for me. When I looked at my master socket if looks different from anything I saw in various forums. Can someone shed some light on what typeof socket it is. Thanks picture is below.20140207_161421.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
shyne
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Master socket help infinity installation

Go to solution
Ok I am only guessing here but it seems to me that the master socket was moved to first floor (which I thought was an extention socket) and the socket in the picture is just blank faceplate. Can someone please verify.

If what im guessing is correct can someone please advice what the best solution for my setup. Currently my setup is the phone line comes into the property to the socket pictured (master socket or blank) from there it goes one floor up to another socket (master socket or extention socket). From here I have an extention cable going one floor up to the router. This is where I want my new hub. 2 choices im currently considering is getting the engineer to use data cable from socket pictured through plumbing access panel all the way to loft and back down to through ceiling into the room. Which I need to prep doubt engineer will use that route. Second choice is keeping things simple by having relocating hub first floor near socket that maybe master or extention. The issue with this is am I going to loose performance if I have a single ethernet cable (cat5e) going from hub to 8 port gigabyte switch that might need to connect to another 4 port switch. I'll have 2 ps3 going to 8 port switch and another to the 4 port switch. Need them to have the best possible connection. Sorry for long post, any help is most welcomed. Thanks
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

That does look like just a blanking plate. Why not just follow the route of your extension cable for your data cable from the first floor socket to the 2nd floor?

shyne
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for reply. The wiring from downstairs to first floor was done 28 years ago by bt, will there be any significant quality differences between that wiring and the data extention cabling the engineer uses?? Is the data extention cable the same as phone extention cable? Someone mentioned the latter being thicker, assuming more bandwith.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

That is correct that is a blanking plate, behind which would be a couple of connectors that join the incoming grease filled underground cable to the internal type that runs off to the socket. That type of cable is ok to use for infinity. So the engineer could just swap out the existing socket and install an infinity face plate. Some infinity installs do not have an engineering visit.

The data extension cable is not the same as normal phone cable. it has different charactaristics in the construction of the cable. It is more like a small Cat 5 cable.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
shyne
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks devon dave. Last question would it not be better to have the entire internal wiring be the data extension cable from blank faceplate to hub rather than the current wire from blankplate to 1st floor socket and then data cable to hub??
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@shyne wrote:
Thanks devon dave. Last question would it not be better to have the entire internal wiring be the data extension cable from blank faceplate to hub rather than the current wire from blankplate to 1st floor socket and then data cable to hub??

That would be better. It will depend on who you get to do the install. An Openreach engineer would probably re-wire without problem where as a contractor installer won't. They get paid per job so will only do enough to connect you. 

The other thing to keep in mind is if you are getting Infinity 1 you may get a self install kit, which is the Homehub 5 and micro filters so it would be up to you to plug it all in. It is only Infinity 2 that gets an engineer visit. 

kennethsross
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi shyne -

In answer to your ethernet questions (Not sure  I saw them answered earlier in the thread). Any speed loss through daisychaining switches is likely to be so small that it will not make a difference, even when gaming. Sure, the ideal situation is to be plugged straight into the router, but that is often not practicable. My present set up is a Vigor 2820N ADSL Router (will be replaced by the HH5 when I get my engineer install in 2 weeks time), with a cat5 running from the one Gigabit port on it to an 8-port Gigabit switch. Cat 5 cables radiate from that to the various rooms, and the two rooms with a few 'connected' bits (TV / Blu-Ray player / Wii etc), have a 5 port switch located close to the devices.

Any impact on speed and pings is negligible, even for gaming (my son, who is the gamer, has confirmed this.)

Hope this helps!

Regards

KSR

shyne
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for all the replies they've been really helpful. I am going to do the prep work so I can data cable from ground floor to 2nd floor. If engineer wont do it that route, than the other option pippincp suggested or having the hub 1st floor as kennethsross stated daisychaining still gives good connection. Thanks.
0 Ratings