cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geran1um
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Master socket installed in the wrong place by mistake

Some years ago I had a second line installed.  The BT engineer came on the wrong day while I was out and the builders let him in. I had given BT specific instructions that I wanted the master socket where I had marked it on the wall of the specific (computer) room.  I came home and found it had been installed in the wrong room. BT later claimed that this was because the engineer thought it “more appropriate”. BT would not move it to the correct place without charging an arm and a leg which as pensioners was out of our reach.  We have always managed with our (non BT ) broadband on a long lead but it has frequently been difficult.

Our broadband is now virtually not working at all because of the long lead and we really do need BT to move their wrongly installed master socket but do we need to pay them an arm and a leg?

Can anybody help please?

Thanks for help

geran1um

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Master socket installed in the wrong place by mistake

Sorry, can't really help because you've probably left it too long. You should have insisted at the time that BT complied with your instructions, and I doubt they will do it for free several years later.

The standard charge now is £130 (£65 each for the arm and leg).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
geran1um
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks and yes it’s easy to say but they flatly refused on the basis that the engineer was acting in our best interest....  They demanded a payment then of about £100.

He also put it in striking distance of the main  socket of our existing line main socket which is clearly wrong.  We needed it for the computer room in the other part of the house – not two main sockets together.!

We have jogged along with the broadband without it working for much of the time but it has to be dealt with now as it is virtually not working at all.

The line is no good as just a phone line either as with the long lead it does not ring or show the caller display.

Thanks for help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

have you considered powerline adapters which will give an ethernet connection to your pc without the trailing cables.  cost for a pair about £35

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

You can moan about it on here and to BT until the cows come home but I can guarantee it BT will not send someone out free of charge to move it.

If it was that much of an issue you should have raised it some years ago.

0 Ratings