Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Master socket

What *is* the master socket?

If I have one of those VDSL wall boxes with both a broadband socket and a phone socket in the front, is that whole assembly the "master socket"?  Or is the "master socket" just the "test socket" inside the box, behind the faceplate?

I ask because I am having difficulty getting a straight answer from BT whose rights/responsibility to replace the faceplate.  BT have diagnosed a fault on my line as being down to a faulty filter in the faceplate.  They are saying both that it has to be fixed by one of their engineers, and that the engineer might charge £130 to do that because it's on my premises.

It seems to me that they can't have it both ways.  Either the whole box is the master socket, with the demarcation being the sockets on the front of the box, or the demarcation is the test socket inside the box.  If the former, then BT are responsible for fixing the faceplate, and I have no right to do so.  If the latter, then I am responsible for it, and BT will require the sale of my firstborn to pay them to do it.

I note that this page from BT themselves implies that the whole assembly is the "master socket". It says:

"If your master socket has two sockets, like this:
{pictures of wall boxes with faceplates fitted, including the one that
looks like mine}
This means that the line is already split between your phone and
broadband"

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Master socket

I don't think the question has ever been properly answered, it seems to be a moot point as to exactly where the demarcation lies. I know what I would do in your situation though. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

Leave BT? 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

Nothing to do with BT, its Openreach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 33

You would have the same issue with another comms provider.
As mentioned I would be replacing the front plate with one I purchased on line.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

Hmm. While it might be an OpenReach engineer who gets sent out, my contract and all contact to date are with BT. It's BT who would bill me, and it's BT failing to tell me whether will or not, and whether I am allowed to fix it myself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

No, its Openreach billing BT who pass the charge on (or not as the case may be). It is exactly the same for whichever provider you use. BT are just interpreting Openreach's rules with regard to the demarcation. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 33

I agree with everything you said except the initial "No" 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

Regardless, I would just do what DD and I would do. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 33

So, assuming the advice is to buy a faceplate and replace it myself, where do I get one from.  BT don't seem to sell them at all, and the assorted online stores I have tried show my master socket (a Mk 3, apparently) but say it is now discontinued.

Does this man it is now back to BT to have them change the back half of the box so I can buy my own replacement faceplate?

0 Ratings