cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimg33
Message 1 of 3

Maximising Broadband

Hi,

The potential of my broadband connection is limited due to distance from the exchange, but I want to be sure that I am getting as much as possible out of the link.

Having completed many things in the past (engineer visit, filter on the main phone socket, Vigor router), I was hoping that the recent (ish) brand new phone cable from the exchange to my village and the CN21 upgrade to the exchange would deliver a better link speed - which it has - we have now moved from half a meg up to as much as 2 meg.

There are a couple of things that puzzle me, I've tried to talk to someone at BT to get a view, but I've not really had a great experience and I thought perhaps someone on the forum could point me in the right direction.

1. My router is configured to negotiate the link protocol, and is still sticking with G.DTM, I was kind of expecting to have stepped up to adsl2. I think BT have told me that I have no chance, but i am aware of others in my villiage (who get the broadband from other ISP's) who have longer lines, and are now are on adsl2. Have I beenn properly advised by BT? 

2. when I run the speed checker on samknows the result is that  I cannot get broadband of any description. This result is obviously incorrect; does this have any bearing on the answer to point 1 that I received from BT.

- thanks in advance of any suggestions

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Maximising Broadband

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Maximising Broadband

The main factors to consider is your Loop Loss, and whether your line is overhead or underground.  And also depending on what chipset the DSLAM at the exchange has in it.  There are a range of things you can do, I'm not to sure how the Vigor performs on your line, but the Business Hub tends to be the best, it may be worth me having a look into the Vigor perhaps, as I myself am on a 9km line.

0 Ratings