I am trying to upgrade our copy of Avid Sibelius on our PC running Vista.
Version 7.1 installed OK.
Now there is an upgrade version 7.5.1 (we have paid for) which fails to install.
It gets as far as the Sibelius7.5.msi progress bar pop-up, but then nothing happens after that.
The reason why I suspect McAfee is that looking at the processes in Task Manager, mfeicfcore.exe seems to have a high CPU level just as Sibelius is trying but failing to install.
I have tried installing with firewall and scanning switched off, but the same thing happens. I can't find any other way of temporarily disabling mfeicfcore, from the menus. Even running command line as administrator, I am not allowed access to stop the service.
Are you running the BT NetProtect McAfee thing - if so you are probably better off deleting it completely and installing one of the many free anti virus programs.
If not you may need to contact Sibelius using this link http://www.sibelius.com/documents/contact_form.html
If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.
Thanks Conrad - I'll think I will try to figure out this with Mcafee first. After all, I am paying for it as part of my BT Broadband subscription already! I am in touch with the Avid/Sibelius helpdesk - but will have to see if they can comment on possible anti-virus blocking.
If I get nowhere, your suggestion may be all that's left!
My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.
As has already been suggested, if you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.
If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then try installing your program update. Assuming it installs OK with BTNetprotect/Mcafee removed you can then reinstall BTNetprotect/McAfee. This might resolve your problem.
Thanks for the links.
I removed McAfee completely - and replaced with Windows Defender plus Windows Security Essentials - This does seem to be a more streamlined solution, and I think my computer is grateful! I plan to run Malawarebytes and Adwcleaner from time to time to catch.
Unfortunately it did not solve the Sibelius problem. Eventually I figured out that probably the upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5 lost compatibility with Windows Vista - without all that much help from their helpdesk.
We now have it installed on my daughter's laptop as a solution.