You should now find that this issue has now been resolved 🙂

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee unwanted desktop icon 2012 - resolved

not for me it hasnt!!! it appears everytime i boot up, i delete it but if i go into mcafee for whatever reason it dumps another icon on my desktop again, so i delete it again but i know it will be back as soon as i reboot. what is the fix? I know mcafee have released a patch for this on 17th jan and slowly sending it out to users but today is the 20th and i am yet to get this update

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Not resolved for me either.... it took McAfee long enough to fix the problem. Now BT seem to be dragging their heels to distribute the update through their installtion of the software!

Come on BT... just fix it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

There has been a long discussion about this issue elsewhere

See http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-NetProtect-Plus-Desktop-Icon-Irritation/m-p...

This thread would have been best posted there perhaps - however, I have today (21 Jan) just tested my own system and deleted the 'unwanted' icon and rebooted AND IT STILL REAPPEARS.

For my purposes still not resolved.

Have therefore put a link to this on the other thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

i have just this minute started up mcafee and set it to check for updates. It took some time and required a restart for the updates to take affect.  I now have the correct 11.0.654 version. I have deleted the icon from my desktop and rebooted my PC and glad to say so far so good the icon has not reappeared. So check for updates guys and hopefully you will get 11.0.654! good luck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Just checked and my version was 11.0.649

I asked for an update - ran the update and told me I was up to date - version was still 11.0.649

Thought I would download afresh - but BT Software link will not connect to BTNetProtectPlus download.

Also having a few problems with Yahoo Toolbar (Optimised for BTYahoo) - likewise there is a problem there with the Software Download service - you click on 'Run' then 'Run' again and then nothing happens!

Really getting very tired of BTYahoo now!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

i have never used btyahoo as i have never favoured yahoo. I kept getting the same message as you as was on version .649. keep trying the update every couple of hours or so thats what i did and eventually got the required update, so dont give up its on its way!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Re: McAfee unwanted desktop icon 2012 - WAS resolved

@DS wrote:

To all using BTNP and not wanting the desktop icon,

You should now find that this issue has now been resolved 🙂

So the Win7 had yet another McAfee restart and the icon has jumped up and bit me on the assSmiley Mad

Security Center 11.0

Build 11.0.654

Virus Scan

Build 15.0.294

Personal Firewall 12.0

Build 12.0.345

Site Advisor 3.4

Build 3.4.1.193

Parental Controls 13.0

Build 13.0.319

Q.Clean and Shredder 11.0

Build 11.0.416

Over to you BT.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Sorry, I found this problem on two threads - so I thought to share my simple solution with everyone on all threads, hope you don't mind.

I think the problem is that the icon isn't on the user desktop - its on the public desktop in a 'hidden' folder

Try

My Computer > C Drive > Users > Public

then (on Windows 7) - Organise (up top) > Folder & Search Options > View - Show hidden files, folders & Drives > Apply > OK

Public Desktop > right click netprotect icon > delete

It should then only reappear after a major update or redownload ... hope this helps :smileyvery-happy:

0 Ratings