cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

McAffee SiteAdvisor

Upgraded to Firefox Browser V29. This broke the Site Advisor Icon. McAffee says it is fixed in SiteAdvisor v3.7. Does anyone know when users of McAffee via BT Broadband will get their SiteAdvisor upgraded to V3.7. I get the impression the BT version is at the bottom of their list for getting upgrades. Corrently the BT version is at 3.6.6.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAffee SiteAdvisor

Is this a stand alone version of Site Advisopr; or an element of a McAfee package?

I use the former with FF with no problems; I have ditched the BT AV software in favour of MSE...............

[Note:

The icon  for Site Advisor can be corrupted if kept in a desktop folder after a browser upgrade without affecting the functionality of the software on your PC. If this is the case, simply replace the icon in such a folder after an upgrade from "Programmes"].

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I use the "free" McAfee that BT bundle with my Broadband subscription. I see at as one of the advantages of choosing BT as my ISP. Part of that package is SiteAdvisor. The problem of SiteAdvisor 3.6.5 and 3.6.6 is described in this McAfee bulletin that can be found here http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102050

So iI guess I am wanting to know when the BT version of MacAfee SiteAdvisor will be upgraded to V3.7. They started releasing to other customers on the 1st May.

I guess I could try and download and install SiteAdvisr v3.7 separate from the BT branded version of SiteAdvisor. But that's an avenue I really don't want to go down though. Mixing different releases really isn't a journey I want to make. It would just be nice for the BT version of McAfee to track the McAfee version of MaAffee (if you see what I mean) reasonably quickly.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Sorry I cant really help on this one;  I cut myself adrift as I say above from the BT bundle over 2 years ago and now use MSE and a free standing version of the McAfes SA.

TBH, no regrets there either Smiley Wink

AQ.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

What gg30340 is saying is in between the lines of my post.

That said I can understand what your view is.

There really is no diminution of service by going to MSE and other add-ons.

Try it for a while, and if not satiisfied; go back and wait for the update is my advice.

Good luck and lets know how you get on!

AQ.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks everyone for their replies. I guess I will stay with the BT product and sit it out and wait for SiteAdvisor V3.7. I guess my concern here is who polices the police? I have found the latest BT product not very good. The last major upgrade, where the user interface changed, reduced my PC to a crawl. But at the end of the day MCafee is owned by Intel and whatever you may think about their technology (I think ARM wins against x86 on virtually every important benchmark) no-one would expect them to do anything improper on their anti-virus software. At the end of the day my anti-virus software is my last line of defence against the hackers. I think I take all sensible precautions, but when all else fails this is the end-stop. And to be clear I am not saying any other anti-virus software supplier is doping anything wrong, but the ownership by Intel gives me an extra layer of confidence.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Have a search for " McAfee Reviews" and then decide how good it is. It is one of the worst rated antivirus products on the market and BTNetprotect is an even lower version of the full McAfee product . You have just said yourself it has slowed your computer to a crawl, but if you are happy with it...