cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbwpu
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Mesh or Powerline or will it make no difference?

Well finally after almost as long and frankly only marginally less digging than Crossrail I have FTTP connected to my home. Now I'm trying to get the connection about my house and buildings with limited success.

My layout is roughly: (hope the shape stays)

PC

HOUSE

HOUSE

B      HH6

A

R

N     BARN #2

#1   (signal 2 bar))

(Signal in yard between barns and below barn 1)

(bit 2 mostly 1 bar)

I have an old house and the HH6 reaches no more than 25ft internally. ie not to the PC at the end of the house. Outside it reaches Barn #2 @2 bars on my IPAD. It also reaches 20ft past the other barn but nothing inside that barn at all. I'm torn between trying a powerline in the house to reach the PC and trying a repeater in Barn2 to try to reach Barn1 with more signal to penetrate the thick stone walls. Alternatively perhaps a Mesh system though i'm not sure that is any more likely to penetrate the walls. Any1 with any experience of trying them. Its not speed I need (the seeming plus of mesh) but signal. I can get within a few feet of the Barn1 before I lose the signal at present.

(For clarity the barns are on a separate fuse boxes to the house so as I understand powerline systems I can't use that to get BB into the barns)

Any advice?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mesh or Powerline or will it make no difference?

Powerline adaptors will not work if you are on a different fuse box.

Your best bet for the barns would be to run Ethernet cable and use a wireless access point in order to connect your wireless devices. If the devices are fixed, ie a Smart TV you could also use an Ethernet switch to connect the TV by Ethernet for the best signal and let the wireless access point take care of your wireless devices.

If your house you could use powerline wireless adaptors where you need them to give you the best signal or a mesh system.

I don't think a mesh set up would help in your bans if the signal can not penetrate the stone walls. 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 3 of 5

What speed are you getting with FTTP?  To maximise the speed to your PC you really need to run an Ethernet cable from your router - this could go outside and round the house - use a length of outdoor CAT5e/6 cable (UV resistant) = you want solid copper not CCA.

You can try powerline adapters inside the house though you will probably get a fraction of the possible speed.  A mesh system or decent wireless extender might give you a faster speed depending on how many and how thick the internal walls are.  You could try an Asus RT-AC68U in wireless extender mode connected to your HH6 - it could somewhere in the middle of the house to maximise the speed.

Do you have power in the barns - if so you could install Ethernet cable and install another router in AP mode - if no power then you can try PoE powered routers.  You could also look at installing an external aerial such as TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A on the outside of your house though you would need to connect to a router with removeable aerials.  There are also external routers which could be mounted on the outside of your house with a PoE cable going inside to the router.

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Given powerline is unlikely to work, you could try a multi-AP "mesh" system, with one AP where your HH6 is, then one in each barn as close to the HH6 side as possible, then perhaps another AP between your HH6 and PC in your house to improve that.

So you may need 4 APs in total. Or you may find one AP in Barn 1 or Barn 2 would cover both.

0 Ratings
pbwpu
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

@brookheather wrote:

What speed are you getting with FTTP?  To maximise the speed to your PC you really need to run an Ethernet cable from your router - this could go outside and round the house - use a length of outdoor CAT5e/6 cable (UV resistant) = you want solid copper not CCA.>>

I bought the cheapest so I get ~55/10. Just borrowed some cheap £15 powelines I'm getting 48-51 internally at my PC.

<<A mesh system or decent wireless extender might give you a faster speed depending on how many and how thick the internal walls are. >>

Internal walls are wood/Stone. But suprisingly very little range on the HH6.

<<You could try an Asus RT-AC68U in wireless extender mode connected to your HH6 - it could somewhere in the middle of the house to maximise the speed.Do you have power in the barns - if so you could install Ethernet cable and install another router in AP mode - if no power then you can try PoE powered routers. >>

Power yes. I believe there is some undeground trunking (the power goes through it) i might be able to pull cables through.

<< You could also look at installing an external aerial such as TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A on the outside of your house though you would need to connect to a router with removeable aerials.  There are also external routers which could be mounted on the outside of your house with a PoE cable going inside to the router.>>

i'll have a look thanks

0 Ratings