cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Message bounced by mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk with 421 Too many messages (1.5.6.2)

This is a problem with sending email to other btinternet users, the email sent is bounced.

There's lots of discussion on the forum about error (1.5.6.1) but I've found no mention of (1.5.6.2).

Does anybody know specifically what the 'sub-error' (1.5.6.2) is trying to tell me.

As far as I know the message is bounced 2 or 3 times (once every 24 hours) then fails to be delivered. However emails sent to some other btinternet users get through.

TIA

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Re: Message bounced by mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk with 421 Too many messages (1.5.6.2)

Hi @erac

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry for the problems you're having sending emails to btinternet users.  Check this link out to see if it helps - BT Mail - Best practises for postmaster and senders of bulk mail

Post back and let me know how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Re: Message bounced by mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk with 421 Too many messages (1.5.6.2)

Thanks for your welcome. Unfortunately your post doesn't solve my problem.

The emails sent were not in bulk - only to a few recipients of whom only one or two were btinternet users - I doubt that would overwhelm your servers.

Also we are only a user of an ISP providing email & web services. As such we have no control over the mail server's settings. Rather I was hoping for an explanation of a specific soft error (1.5.6.2) which in fact seems to be a hard error (the emails are never delivered) so that I could contact our provider trying to get a solution rather than the otherwise inevitable ping-pong of "it's ISP A's problem, no it's ISP B's problem".

Hopefully somebody out there knows what 1.5.6.2 means...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@erac wrote:

Thanks for your welcome. Unfortunately your post doesn't solve my problem.

The emails sent were not in bulk - only to a few recipients of whom only one or two were btinternet users - I doubt that would overwhelm your servers.

Also we are only a user of an ISP providing email & web services. As such we have no control over the mail server's settings. Rather I was hoping for an explanation of a specific soft error (1.5.6.2) which in fact seems to be a hard error (the emails are never delivered) so that I could contact our provider trying to get a solution rather than the otherwise inevitable ping-pong of "it's ISP A's problem, no it's ISP B's problem".

Hopefully somebody out there knows what 1.5.6.2 means...

Hi, welcome to the forums.

There is an interesting post here :-

https://zerosandones.co.uk/421-too-many-messages-1-5-6-2/

and some more here :-

https://www.mail-archive.com/mailop@mailop.org/msg00645.html

It is clearly an Openwave messaging failure, who clearly don't understand how to run an ISP mail server.

0 Ratings