cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Microsoft Security Downloads

I have set my computer to receive these downloads at 5-30p.m. .   Why is it that they always arrive when I log off at 11.30pm.  By the  time we go through the usual rigmarole of downloading, find a restore point, shutting down the computer,restarting computer,configuring windows etc etc it is taking up to 45 minutes to complete this process.2 questions does it take this long with your computer. Am  I doing something wrong.  Will  accept any advice that gets me to be any earlier.  Thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Microsoft Security Downloads

It might be that the downloads are downloaded at the time you specify but most downloads don't actually get installed until you do a shutdown or restart of the computer.

It might be best to post on the Microsoft Forum where you may get a better answer. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@irban wrote:

I have set my computer to receive these downloads at 5-30p.m. .   Why is it that they always arrive when I log off at 11.30pm.  By the  time we go through the usual rigmarole of downloading, find a restore point, shutting down the computer,restarting computer,configuring windows etc etc it is taking up to 45 minutes to complete this process.2 questions does it take this long with your computer. Am  I doing something wrong.  Will  accept any advice that gets me to be any earlier.  Thank you

The update time which you are quoting is normal......that’s if you do updates manually. You have received the updates, but have you set the the time window to install them?

There’s a setting whereby the updates can be set to be performed at certain times, but in practice you will still need a reboot to finalise the install.   It’s better to install manually.

0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

very grateful for your response.  Could  you tell me where I can find this time window  Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@irban wrote:

very grateful for your response.  Could  you tell me where I can find this time window  Thanks

As gg  has stated, Microsoft forums are the better choice for a solution.

You perform a manual update from the Windows settings icon. (If you haven’t set an icon, type settings in the search bar).

However, you will note that after a manual Windows 10 update, you will see a notification in red text, which will take you to instructions.

From personal experience: manual updates are better, as you don’t waste electrical power  ( up to100 Watts per hour in worst case with a desktop pc running in standby all day and night). You can switch on, do the updates, finish tasks  and shut down.

Also don’t try a manual update on a Sunday afternoon....MS servers are busy.

0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for your reply.If unsolved will try that. apologies for delay in replying but completely lost your reply on my tablet.  Found on lap top.  Thanks

0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Thank you. will give it a try
0 Ratings