cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Microsoft Security Downloads.

I have just downloaded 17 microsoft security downloads.When finished the  computer configures, disfigures and everything else that it does, it shuts down my computer then restarts it again.  I guarantee every time I download these security measures my computer will not allow me to get my home page back.  For 15 minutes all I can get is 'this page cannot be displayed'.   Am I doing something wrong or does this happen to everyone.   If not is there a solution.  Any advice would be welcome as always.Thank you.  (to be able to send this post I have had to shut my computer down and start from scratch). I am using Windows 7 Home Edition

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Microsoft Security Downloads.

It sounds like you have Windows set to automatically check for and install updates. In my opinion it is better to have Windows check for and download the updates but let you decide when to install them. That way you do it at a time that suits you because as you have found this can prevent you using the computer while all this is going on.

If you want to change it the go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Update > Change settings ,then select the setting that suits you.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Thank U for information. Unfortunately after control panel I have no Windows Update or change settings
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to start and in your list of programs possibly you will need to click on "all programs" you should find Windows Update, click on it and it will bring up a box. You should then see "change setting" on the left hand pane. Then follow my guide above.

In the control panel you may have it set to view category. If you click on  System Security, you will find Windows update in there. Then follow previous guide.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@irban wrote:
Thank U for information. Unfortunately after control panel I have no Windows Update or change settings

Look at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/change-how-windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-update...

I would recommend the option

• Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

Use this option even if you decide to download and install everything because at least you can have some idea of what has caused unexpected changes to your system.