cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Microsoft Security downloads

last week I had 7 new security downloads to initiate. It would appear that only 6 of these were successful and all attempts b y me to download the 7th have failed.  I am also having trouble downloading the updated version of this BT Help line (there must be a connection).  Whilst the Microsoft download just tells me that it has failed the BT Helpline says that it has been downloaded but obviously hasnt because it is still showing the red line in the middle  advising me that there is an updated version available.  Any help in sorting out these problems would be welcome but please give me exact instructions what do.  Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Microsoft Security downloads

irban,

It would help us to help you if you provided a little more information.

What version of Windows are you using ?

What Microsoft Update is failing to download ?

I assume BT Helpline is BT Broadband Desktop Help ?

It is unlikely that the two problems are related.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

thank U for your reply.

1.Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Security Update Micrsoft Works KB 2680317

3.  Yes I was referring to the BT Helpdesk (since writing this morning I have found many more customers experiencing the same problem

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

hi Microsoft updates are nothing to do with BT just try downloading it again the updates do quite often fail
as to desk top help many users here say do not install it as it can cause more problems than it solves
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

@irban wrote:

thank U for your reply.

1.Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Security Update Micrsoft Works KB 2680317

3.  Yes I was referring to the BT Helpdesk (since writing this morning I have found many more customers experiencing the same problem

Regarding the Security Update as John46 as indicated you are more likely to get help from a microsoft forum.

Look at these links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/security-update-for-micros...

That points to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121

Regarding BT Broadband Desktop Help I think it is a useful tool but it needs to be used with care.

The usual reason for it failing to update is that users try to update or uninstall it when it is in use AND YOU ARE NOT TOLD THAT YOU NEED TO STOP IT FIRST.

So first of all you need to right click on the BTDH (BT Desktop Help) icon on the bottom right of your screen. (White ? on Black)

Then left click on exit.

Then click Start, then programs and then find the BTDH entry and click on it.  This should give you an uninstall option.

Click on the uninstall option  and when it is finished reboot your machine.

After the restart login to your BT Account (note not BTyahoo account)  goto MY BT, click on My Services, Click on Broadband and then

"Download your free Broadband Help here"

Then follow the installation instructions.

Regarding using BTBH I recommend that you put an BTDH icon on your desktop.

After your machine has FULLY  started I suggest you right click on the BTDH icon on the bottom right of the screen and then click exit.

The reason for this is BTDH is not good at real time monitoring and this is what causes a lot of people to have problems with it as it throws up spurious (false) errors so it it is better to not have it running all the time. 

However if you have a desktop icon you can start it up when you run into real problems.

Let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Re: Desktop Help

That's useful vos, and may help explain some issues for some users. But it seems to me that the need for such care without built-in guidance simply makes it a non-starter. I installed Desktop Help when I was a new user; I never found it any use at all and soon uninstalled it as over-intrusive. Admittedly that was a long time ago, but I've never felt the need to see if it's got any better.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Re: Desktop Help

@pottyperson wrote:

That's useful vos, and may help explain some issues for some users. But it seems to me that the need for such care without built-in guidance simply makes it a non-starter. I installed Desktop Help when I was a new user; I never found it any use at all and soon uninstalled it as over-intrusive. Admittedly that was a long time ago, but I've never felt the need to see if it's got any better.

Pottyperson,

Can I suggest you give BTBH another try and operate it as I suggest above. Also put yourself in the position of an inexperienced user and ask if the items described in the current menu page would not be very useful to an inexperienced user.  I do not think that the experts in the community are giving good advice when they say uninstall it.

A more responsible attitude would be to list what they think are the problems with it and how to avoid them.  Yes it needs to be improved and get better documented, and experts can live without it, but it is fundamentally a useful tool.

Here endeth the sermon.

0 Ratings