cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beatty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Migrating broadband and landline to Sky but BT insist I'm only moving the landline!

Firstly, let me apologise if this is in the wrong section of the forum as I'm not entirely sure where it fits.

Anyway, after many (many!) phone calls to both Sky and BT I am unable to resolve my migration problem. I currently have basic broadband (not infinity) and landline with BT and I've applied to Sky for their basic broadband and landline, so they should be (are) doing all the work to migrate me from BT to them. But BT insist that I am only moving my landline and they've sent a letter saying I will be moved onto BT option 3 broadband on my switch date!

Sky are adamant that on the switchover day they are switching both landline and broadband but I just can't get BT to accept this as they say Sky have only told them to move my landline to them. I am concerened that I am going to start being billed for this option 3 from BT after my switch date.

What I want to see is BT accepting that both landline and bb are being migrated on my switch date (15th March) and to send me a letter or email confirming that before then.

It seemed to me that the easy way to definitively resolve who is right would be for both BT and Sky to contact openreach directly and ask what openreach thinks it's going to do on my switchover day. But both parties refused this which I consider a really pig-headed attitude!

Any idea what I can do to resolve this (i.e. what can I do to get BT to confirm in writing that both landline and bb are being migrated)?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
LadFromWales
Beginner
Message 2 of 17

Re: Migrating broadband and landline to Sky but BT insist I'm only moving the landline!

If the exchange you are connected to has Sky LLU, your line will be fully unbundled from BT when it migrates.

Both phone and broadband sides will be disconnected from BT at the exchange and connected to Sky.

Whether or not BT know Sky are taking the broadband, it will most certainly be switched over to Sky at the same time the phone is.  BT will then see that the broadband has been ceased, and will charge £31, though from what I have seen, Sky do not pass on this charge to the customer.

At a guess, you'll be able to call BT as soon as your migration completes on the 15th and confirm with them that you are indeed no longer a customer, and await your final bill.

0 Ratings
Beatty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Re: Migrating broadband and landline to Sky but BT insist I'm only moving the landline!

@LadFromWales wrote:

If the exchange you are connected to has Sky LLU, your line will be fully unbundled from BT when it migrates.

Both phone and broadband sides will be disconnected from BT at the exchange and connected to Sky.

Whether or not BT know Sky are taking the broadband, it will most certainly be switched over to Sky at the same time the phone is.  BT will then see that the broadband has been ceased, and will charge £31, though from what I have seen, Sky do not pass on this charge to the customer.

At a guess, you'll be able to call BT as soon as your migration completes on the 15th and confirm with them that you are indeed no longer a customer, and await your final bill.

Thanks LadFromWales.

Yes, that's pretty much what Sky have told me will happen but I'm totally frustrated with BT for not accepting this. There's clearly been a snafu somewhere and I suspect it is on BT's side. I fully expect final billing problems with BT after the switch and unnecessary efforts on my part to recover payments I don't actually owe and it's that that's worrying me the most.

I shouldn't have any cancellation charges from BT at all because I'm leaving as a consequence of the broadband and call cost rises due in April and I gave BT the appropriate notice.

Do you know whether I can safely cancel my direct debit before the switch date? Contrary to the letter BT sent me Line rental Saver is refundable pro-rata, which is far more than any final charges they should be making? I just don't want to end up with a £6 charge from BT for cancelling my DD. But equally I don't want BT trying to take money they aren't due and there are enough anecdotal stories to say they very well might.

I'm probably worrying for nothing but I wouldn't have to worry at all if the migration system worked as it should.

0 Ratings
LadFromWales
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

You probably are worrying about nothing.  Your circumstances differ from the norm as you are leaving due to price rise.  I am unsure if this also includes the £31 fee for leaving the BTOR network, but even if it does, Sky cover it so you don't pay it.

The snafu on BT's side is probably just the call centre operatives lack of knowledge.  It is very true that with migrations from BTOR to a full LLU provider that the losing provider doesn't see initially that you are taking the broadband away, as the whole thing shifts over at the same time, physical hardware configuration at the exchange.

I personally wouldn't cancel the direct debit as I would imagine that should charges be due to you, that they will be unable to return them promptly.  If in the event they do take more than they should, you can use the direct debit guarantee to make an indemnity claim against the direct debit with your bank.  You can have the whole debit, or the amount you disagree with being debited, returned to your account the same day.

As you have left within your 30 days, and not on the last day as some people have, it is very unlikely that BT will bill you early termination charges, and as you have some months to go on your LRS, it'll get returned to you, probably on the same date your direct debit usually goes out.

I hope things are good for you over at Sky, I've seen/heard good things, and they do seem to be more flat with the costs than BT have recently...!

0 Ratings
Beatty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Yes, good point about the DD. I didn't think of the refund going back into the account.

"It is very true that with migrations from BTOR to a full LLU provider that the losing provider doesn't see initially that you are taking the broadband away, as the whole thing shifts over at the same time, physical hardware configuration at the exchange."

That could explain why BT thinks I'm only moving my LL then. I just wish their people knew this. That and the fact that they say they're going to move me to BToption 3 broadband on the switch day...it's so messed up.

As for Sky, I was with them for two years previously and had a massive ongoing problem for 9 months with intermittent broadband. It eventually got fixed when I moved to BT this time and it turns out it was a dodgy connection at the top of the pole in the road. Strange how Openreach couldn't fix it while I was with Sky but managed to within a month of moving to BT! Man Mad

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

If you are leaving because of the price rise then the £31 cease charge does not apply. Already been confirmed on this forum by DanielS. Doesn't mean it definately won't appear on your bill though, you might have to make a call.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

If the OP is moving to another provider that uses the Openreach infrastructure there would be no cease charge in any event regardless if he was using the price rise to cancel his contract.

0 Ratings
Beatty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Well the switch to Sky went smoothly. Both ll and bb moved over at the same time (phew!). Can't wait to see what BT does with my charges now but I'm fully expecting to have to chase my LRS pro-rata refund! Will post when it's all sorted so people can see whether BT do what they're meant to or not.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

0 Ratings
Beatty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

@john46

Unfortunately that link perpetuates the wrong information which is that the LRS is not refundable, which is definitely not the case. It is refundable pro-rata because I am leaving due to BT's price rises.

0 Ratings