Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unknown365
Message 1 of 4

Migrating to BT Infinity from TalkTalk / Be Unlimited

Go to solution

Hi, 

We have just ordered BT Infinity and landline package.

Currently, phone/voice is provided by TalkTalk, and the Internet is provided by Be Unlimited (so it is currently an SMPF line).

The line is a former BT line, with an original BT number, and (as I understand SMPF) still connected to BT equipment for voice at the exchange.

1. 1) Are there likely to be any problems in keeping our current phone number (since this is important for us)? I know that BT state they try to keep the number, but I understand this is largely down to if BT have a Number Porting Agreement with TalkTalk. Also, from what I understand, the losing CP is legally required to release a number for porting, but the new gaining CP is not legally required to take the original number. 

2. 2) Upon placing the order I noticed that it stated that first an order would be placed to bring the phoneline back to BT (which may take up to 13 working days). Only once this is complete can an order for Infinity take place, and only then will a MAC code be required. The Infinity install can take another 2-4 weeks. 

I have already requested a MAC code from Be and have given my 1-month cancellation notice, so their service will end on 03 January 2013.

Am I correct in assuming this means there is a risk that I will be without Internet for a significant period of time? Would it be best to abort this cancellation for now while the line is be migrated back to BT, and only once the Infinity order can be place to give the MAC code and give the 1-month cancellation notice?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Migrating to BT Infinity from TalkTalk / Be Unlimited

Go to solution

@unknown365 wrote:

Hi, 

We have just ordered BT Infinity and landline package.

Currently, phone/voice is provided by TalkTalk, and the Internet is provided by Be Unlimited (so it is currently an SMPF line).

The line is a former BT line, with an original BT number, and (as I understand SMPF) still connected to BT equipment for voice at the exchange.

1. 1) Are there likely to be any problems in keeping our current phone number (since this is important for us)? I know that BT state they try to keep the number, but I understand this is largely down to if BT have a Number Porting Agreement with TalkTalk. Also, from what I understand, the losing CP is legally required to release a number for porting, but the new gaining CP is not legally required to take the original number. Yes you can port your number

2. 2) Upon placing the order I noticed that it stated that first an order would be placed to bring the phoneline back to BT (which may take up to 13 working days). Only once this is complete can an order for Infinity take place, and only then will a MAC code be required. The Infinity install can take another 2-4 weeks.  Infinity at the moment may take longer than the time scale you have posted

I have already requested a MAC code from Be and have given my 1-month cancellation notice, so their service will end on 03 January 2013. Allowing for Christmas and the new year holiday period very risky cancelling 

Am I correct in assuming this means there is a risk that I will be without Internet for a significant period of time? Would it be best to abort this cancellation for now while the line is be migrated back to BT, and only once the Infinity order can be place to give the MAC code and give the 1-month cancellation notice?  Yes a serious risk of no broadband yes  i woulld abort the cancellation personally 

Thanks. 

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Good advice John!

unknown365
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, I have decided to cancel the order for now and will look into it again in the new year since I will be away from home for a bit of time in December/January.

0 Ratings