Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 139

Milton Keynes / Bradwell Abbey Exchange / FTTP Trial

Hello all.

I live in Broughton on the eastern edge of Milton Keynes, served by the Bradwell Abbey exchange.

I've read various reports of FTTP being trialled here instead of infinity.

At the moment I get a quite good-ish 3.5 - 4 mbps speed on a new estate.

I've contacted BT who have no information about any FTTP trial or if/when Inifnity is coming.

Here in MK, we don't have the option of Virgin Media, they run the old Cable TV system but it's not digital, so most have Sky, but for any broadband in MK, you need a BT phone line.

I've seen lists of exchanges due for Infinity (Stony Stratford, Wolverton, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes (Bletchley)) but not SMBA listed due to this FTTP trial.

Openreach vans are here there and everywhere in MK digging up beside the grid roads (phone lines follow the grid roads, reason why the lines are so long and alot of MK people get vast differences in speed).

In our new flat, there is an openreach faceplate (flat is 1 year old).

Anyone in BT or on this forum that can advise what is and what is planned to happen for those on the Bradwell Abbey exchange in MK as reliable informaion is more or less non-exisitant.

Thanks all

0 Ratings
138 REPLIES 138
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 139

Re: Milton Keynes / Bradwell Abbey Exchange / FTTP Trial

As far as I was aware the Bradwell Abbey Exchange (which is in Fishermead and nowwhere near Bradwell Abbey) was only going to accomodate Central MK and a few of the near by estates, like Fishermead, Springfield.

I can't see BT extending the FTTP trial any further than that.

I have a similar problem, in that I live in Newton Longville, 5Km away from the Milton Keynes exchange (which is in Fenny Stratford). That is supposed to be getting infinity in October 2010. I can't see BT laying all that cable, to a small neighbouring villiage with 800 residents and only a handfull on BT Broadband customers, who only achieve between 500Kb and 1Mb at best.

The inherent problem with MK is very unique in that we have large exchanges serving it's customers, look around the rest of the country and they have loads of smaller exchanges.

If only Offcom had allowed BT 20 years ago to expand it's fibre network, they wouldn't be in this mess now.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 139

Hello, thanks for your comments...BT were held back by Ofcom, and had to ofload the cable network.

21st Century Town/City...1970s telephony..!

0 Ratings
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 139

Lets keep our fingers crossed that MK gets the upgrade it needs...Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 5 of 139

Actually, although my telephone number does not give an Infinity date on the BT site, I see there is a new(ish) section that lists Milton Keynes as getting Infinity around 30 September 2010.

On the www.bt.com/infinity site "How to get it" sub-section:

Follow the "when we're planning to come to your area here" link for South East.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017#fiberMapConsume...

I will add that I read somewhere that when they refer to "Milton Keynes" on Exchange lists, they exclude Bradwell Abbey Exchange (code: SMBA, in Fishermead) as that is part of the FTTH trial. So:

- if you in MK but not on SMBA exchange, Sep/Oct 2010 may be when you get lucky.

- if you are on SMBA exchange, and possible outside the FTTH trial area (If that part turns out to be true), not sure what this will mean (like me, also Broughton)

One the subject of how much of SMBA will get FTTH, I read on of the BT/OpenReach public docs, that they intend to roll out FTTH to as much of SMBA as is practical (economical) possible. Still room to exclude the far reaches of MK, but I am hopeful.

"early summer" is here BT - get a move on!

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 6 of 139

0 Ratings
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 139

Nice use of PowerPoint!

We'll have to wait and see if we end up with a case of the "have's" and "have not's"...

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 8 of 139

Some interesting tid bits:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/news/productbriefing...

So looks like OpenReach opened the trial for ISP's (CP's) to apply/joint the trial in March, it will not actually kick off until July, then run through to Dec.

Quote from Loughton usergroup: "So far I know that ISP's Plusnet and Andrews & Arnold have submitted applicants for the FTTP trial which is due to begin on 1st July, although Openreach has yet to identify which areas of the Bradwell Abbey exchange will be covered"

So those few lucky people that have been put on the trial list on PlusNet will probably go live by July. But their forum has had some good info, so I provide a link here.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=83633.msg689383

0 Ratings
cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 139

Does anyone have any information on trials in the area that BT Internet may be running. I have been trying to find more information without any luck. The engineers have started laying fibre cables outside my house (Loughton)

It seems that plusnet is leading the way with trials.

Can BT Internet supply some information?

Cliff

0 Ratings
cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 139

There still seems to be no further information of when / if trials being available.

BT engineers have been outside my house over last couple of days. Today there was someone with a laptop at a cabinet.

I cannot understand why all this seems to be kept secret.

0 Ratings