Re: Milton Keynes / Bradwell Abbey Exchange / FTTP Trial

well that was an interesting conversation

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 92 of 139

I believe the way to get on the FTTP trial for the Bradwell Abbey Exchange is what I did. I registered interest for BT Infinity on their website, even though it said Infinity was not available at my home, & then waited. 6 or 8 weeks later a very nice efficient lady phoned & said I could go on the trial. 6 weeks later I've just had the second stage of the install done, it all went very smoothly with efficient punctual Openreach men arriving & getting it all sorted. I now have about 37 down & 9 up. So much better than the 1.4 down I suffered before due to being far from the exchange.

0 Ratings
Lord_douglas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 139

Thanks for that information. The point I was trying to get across was the advisor stated no one in uk can get 100mbs connection and I know this to be untrue as my friend already has this from virgin.
Yet again poorly trained staff from BT.
The first company that can offer me 100mb fttp/ftth gets my Custom.
0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 94 of 139

Bear in mind that outside or virgin (not really FTTP, as coax is the last link) and ebbsfleet, there are no live FTTP areas. MK and the others to come are still on trial till Jul. So until then the scripted call centres have no clue.

The only option is wait for BT to invite you or switch to ISP that is openly inviting. But they are all limited by availability checker, so start there first.
0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 95 of 139

Lord_Douglas try PlusNet. Bloke over the road tried BT and was told FTTP did not exist or some such untrained line. So he got it on PlusNet for free on trial, they charge now. He said off peak he gets 90 down 20 up which drops to about 70 down on peak I think. So give them a call.
0 Ratings
Wingman_1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 96 of 139

Just spoke to plusnet and got nothing from them, they say no trial or FTTP available in my area yet so oh well !

0 Ratings
Lord_douglas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 139

I understand what your saying about fttp.Do I understand correctly though as a search shows fttc to cabinet,fttp not really to premise but closest point outside and ftth fibre to home not sure if anyone got that yet.Though i am having to house sit for what is supposed to be a fttp install on walnut tree tomorrow. Rather a large time window from 08:00-13:00 jsut hope they turn up early or going to be so bored.

0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 98 of 139

I could be wrong as I'm not a large brain tech head but my understanding is that FTTP is tha same as FTTH. Fibre is joined to the main bundle in the street box and blown down the conduit to your property. Then a fibre lead with an Ethernet plug on one end is fitted from inside to out of your home and then joined to the fibre. So the fibre runs from the exchange to the box to your home/premise/property and inside to plug directly to the back of the modem.
0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 99 of 139

FTTP (Premises) is the same as FTTH (House). There is a fibre from the street splitter to a termination box on the outside of your house. Then a separate fibre from there to the ONT (optical network terminator) inside your house. This ONT has 4 port, but only one is enabled, and that is basically a ethernet lan port. You plug your PC or WAN router directly into that.

FTTC (Cabinet) runs fibre to the street cabinet, where is it bridged onto your copper phone line, and you just have a different kind of modem attached to your phone line socket to provide internet.

There is actually another: FTTB (Building). They run the fibre to a block of flats/appartments etc, and then run ethernet lines to each user from a central point. May see this more in new developemnts of flats/appartments, but older buildings are more linkley to get FTTC to leverage the exsting copper.

0 Ratings
Lord_douglas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 139

House sat for friends instalation. Asked a million quetsions of very helpful open reach engineer.

I can deduct from the conversation if you live in a newer build property fttp not going to be too much of a problem.

But if you live in older estates like tinkers bridge the first tell tail sign will be if a newer box has been installed near to the old green cabinet making it fttc ready.This has not happened yet in tinkers bridge and no one has any idea of a date.

I really need to leave my old isp due too email rarely working,webspace not working ang no access to my online bill.

Speed dropped from lovely always 8mbps to 1-2mbps and recently back up too 7.2mbps research found they had moved everyone from dsl+ units to standard units (Think what they meant was that everyone on 40:1 contention to get the speed to a 60:1 to save money) despite during the takeover an email sent to all customers stating nothing will change,same great service from same great team.

I am no longer willing to pay in excess of £60 a month for this as i think 2 1/2 years of it would try anyones patience.

So come on bt offer me a decent alternative.

0 Ratings