Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wingman_1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 139

Re: Milton Keynes / Bradwell Abbey Exchange / FTTP Trial

@einsteinradio wrote:

I've heard that Broughton and Broughton Chase have been dropped from the FTTP trial due to "problems".

Brooklands (new build estate between Broughton / Broughton Chase) apparenty is having fibre laid.

So are we going to be a fibreless sandwich between Middleton and Brooklands?

Not happy...

Well I saw BT lay fibre optic on Tanfield Road, Broughton (outside of Budgens supermaket) about a month ago.

I have registered my interest in Sky's fibre optic trial here at http://skyhispeedbb.com but have not yet heard anything.

Why would BT lay fibre optic here in Broughton then let it sit here dormant, weird.   I get 2.5 mg down atm but that took ages of fussing with Sky to get.  Had 1mb for ages!

0 Ratings
cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 139

I would not hold out much hope of hearing from Sky. I registered interest when they put the information on the website in September but have not heard anything to this day. I do not think that Sky are taking part in the fibre trial.

0 Ratings
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 139

Interesting about Tanfield Drive, I'm over t'river in the slightly newer bit, only see Openreach vans connecting new houses up when people move in...No word of fibre coming over this way...seems strange that it wasn't put in during the build, our building was put up just under 2 years ago...is Brooklands having fibre put down?

0 Ratings
einsteinradio
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 139

If you see them again, ask if they venture east of the river...!
0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 75 of 139

This is some bits of info I have seen over the past few months on Broughton and Broughton Gate (the new build section of Broughton):

BT/OR had originally planned on covering 13,500 properties in Bradwell Abbey [with FTTP], but due to problems with laying Fibre, have had to reduce this to around 10,500. BT have now completed the rollout in Bradwell Abbey however they said they will revisit the area [Broughton Gate] at some point to see if they can rollout FTTC, although this is unlikely to be before 2012

Broughton (all) had been included in the original phase of the trial roll-out. However, this has changed and Openreach have indicated that Broughton, NOT Broughton Gate, would be considered to be part of the planning for the following programme of deployment.

So I expected that Broughton (old) should get FTTP either as part of the extension of the trial area, or an additional area once the trial is complete, but Broughton Gate is stuck with ADSL for a while (despite Middleton, Brooklands and eventually Broughton (old) all having FTTP). And what you may have seen is the fibre going down in Broughton (old), as part of trail extension. (Brooklands is being done by the developers, not BT/OR)

I can't really see any issue laying FTTP in brand new ducts in Broughton Gate (with the exception of the apartment blocks which are better suited to FTTC), but that may come down to a nice target for scalling back the trial due to issues elsewhere (and the area having newish copper).

So still not really clear exactly where they will be laying fibre and if they really still plan leaving out the new builds, which are old likely to be backfilled with FTTC along with the town centre flats/apartments.

0 Ratings
Wingman_1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 139

Excellent news Goose, thanks for the update, certainly promising news for me (old Broughton)!
0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 77 of 139

The BT/OR fibre crew has been spotted in Broughton (Milton Road) and Broughton Gate (Watercress Way) in the past few days.

Keep an eye out for them and share what you see.
0 Ratings
zennit
Beginner
Message 78 of 139

I'm in broughton, how would I get on a trial? I'm sick of 0.5 meg 😞

0 Ratings
zennit
Beginner
Message 79 of 139

I spoke to one of the engineers today who told me to to try and get on a trial, so I gave bt a ring and was told that there were spaces on the trial and given a number to call. The next person I spoke to told me they don't register trials over the phone, and when I asked how do they choose trial customers I was told they are choosen almost randomly? This doesn't make much sense to me being a potential customer interested in a bt service 😞

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 80 of 139

I think it is a bit soon to be trying to get on the trial, but this may help set some expectations: If I recall the Middleton experience correctly, the first step is rodding black plastic tubes through the ducts. The various bits of passive kit are put in (distribution points, splitters, manifolds). Then a larger van with a compressor in the back turns up and fibre is blown through the ducts. Then the various bits of fibre need to be jointed together. It took about three weeks of install and then there was what felt like a few months before it showed up as live on the Openreach checker (and then the fun of finding a willing ISP begins).

0 Ratings