cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bramshot
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mini connector issues and ordering problems

I received a free Smart Hub, so I gave it a try, my old HH 4 was working fine with Infinity, but I like to try new stuff.

I keep my hub on a shelf for best wireless coverage, so the (not supplied) dsl cable I had was not long enough to reach ( as the old Openreach box is interposed between phone socket and hub, with Ethernet between them).

So I called for assistance requesting a 3 metre DSL cable and was promised a kit would arrive in 2 to 3 days. It didn't, so I called again.Apologies sir, I will sort this out for you. Nothing arrives, so I call again, I will send out a long Ethernet cable for you sir. I explain that is not what I need, 'oh sorry sir, our longest dsl cable is 1 metre'. 

So I toddle down to Curry's and buy a cable for myself. Get Smart hub set up OK.

Delivery from BT, a filter that I didn't ask for,

some days later, a kit containing two Mini connectors and short dsl cable arrives! Hope I am not being charged for this stuff. A third packge arrives from BT, a very long Ethernet cable.

I am thinking of opening a shop!

Anyway, I decide to give the Mini Connectors a go as they claim to be 1 Gig and my existing power line setup is 500 Meg. Set them away, paired with my existing kit and seems to work, but...

Netflix keeps buffering, never had this problem before (mini connectors are between the hub and the wired node where the smart TV is plugged into).

switch back to original 500 Meg kit and it works perfectly.  I can only assume the mini connectors are not very good. Anyone have similar experience with them?

Sorry it took so long to get to the point, just had to pass n the entire catalogue of disaster.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mini connector issues and ordering problems

Just use the mini connectors on their own, do not try to pair them with any existing powerline devices, as there may be compatibility issues.

0 Ratings
Bramshot
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I suspected it might be something like that, except all the other ones continue to work fine with the Mini Connectors in the network.

Actually, it was not only the wired network that slowed right down, communication via wireless with the hub manager became very sluggish too. All back to normal with the mini connectors removed.

I won't be using the mini connectors on their own unless BT want to compound their error by sending me some more by mistake to replace the other 3 devices that I have!

I have been with BT broadband almost since the beginning and was one of the many that had so much trouble with copper connected early HH. Used to be on to BT for help one way or another all the time and be a significant contributor to the 'File Save As' HH forum.  Since getting Infinity all has been splendid and I haven't needed to contact BT about it once in the years I have had it. This latest episode, trying to get a long wire with RJ11's on the ends, reminds me how awful they can be and it seems they haven't improved one little bit.

Best regards

Tim

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

You must only have one powerline adapter connected to the home hub Ethernet port. That would be the master one, all the others must be slaved off that one.

Connecting two powerline adaptors to the home hub will cause an Ethernet bridge, and can crash the home hub, or cause the ports to lock up or slow down.

0 Ratings
Bramshot
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi Keith

i only have one adapter connected to the hub, with the others slaved off it. When I was using it, this was one of the Mini Connectors.

Regards

Tim

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

The mini connectors may be right, just on their own, as BT do suppy (at a small cost) them to BT Vision customers, and they seem to work fine.

0 Ratings