cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtbc
Message 1 of 5

Minimum Line Standard?

Anyone know if there is any minimum standard on the quality of wiring used up to the master socket? From the wall to the master socket I have about three different wire types used, including an old fabric covered twisted pair wire, which must got back many years. The line from the pole to the wall appears to have been replaced within the last 10-20 years, but it is connected to the old wiring immediately below the old insulators on the wall (telegraph wires held on with insulating tape). The connection just has the two bare wires stripped back and clipped together, no junction box or weather protection. Surely this can't meet any reasonable standard? Thanks Simon
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Zwilnik
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Minimum Line Standard?

A few years ago BT laid down strict ext wiring requirements on the Engineers for any new/repair work that is carried out on a line. The problem is that it is only lines that there has been work done on since it came into effect. Some lines have been there for many a year and are far below this standard. By what you say your wiring would not pass one of the audits that Engineers have to go through. Getting it brought up to the modern standard would be a problem unless there is a fault or you get work done on the line. 

Zwilnik

rtbc
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply, useful and confirms the view I was coming to myself. Well, I need a master socket move in while anyway, so I guess I'll just swallow the charges and get it all done now.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
stupot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Make sure you ask bt for a "line shift", when your ready for the work to be done as this is a standard price, get them to give you a quote. When the engineer arrives ask him  to check all the old wiring and to bring it up to standard within the "fixed price".

But If you get the work done as a standard repair openreach will charge accordingly.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
rtbc
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the advice, I did indeed do that but mainly because I needed it doing as well Smiley Happy

As you say, they ended up replacing all the wiring back to the pole, was a long afternoon for them.

0 Ratings