Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

Minor question re: cabinets

Go to solution

Hi. I guess this isn't really the most appropriate location, but couldn't find anywhere that was. As some may know (from one of my previous threads), only two cabinets on the Aberlour exchange are active for fibre. One of my relatives houses is connected to the cabinet without fibre, but it might be within 300m of the already existing cabinet (Cabinet 3): does anyone know if a building can be rewired to a different cabinet entirely to get fibre early, or do Openreach not switch a property to another cabinet? I ask because it wouldn't matter what cabinet the relative's property is connected to, as she gets max speed on ADSL max (due to distance from exchange, something like 200m), but the house would be well within the range to get Infinity if it was reconnected to Cab3. Thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Minor question re: cabinets

Go to solution

This has been covered quite a few time on infinity board - open reach will not rewire you to a different cabinet just so you can get fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thought as much @imjolly, just wanted to make sure. IIRC, they are only required to give you telephony services, which I think is pretty ridiculous, considering all their "customers" (as in, the ISP's) use the network for broadband services, along with telephony.

Thanks for the quick answer! 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
the Openreach network is bespoke and because of that customers cannot be moved from cabinet to cabinet Openreach are not obliged to provide broadband on any line if the consider it unable to support it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@SuperSajuuk,

Just for reference. You propably already know this info anyway.

Table showing the PCPs which are planned, currently in the process of being installed/ commissioned with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet or already Accepting FTTC Orders:

Date: 16/07/15

FTTC DSLAM location

Cabinet Exchange Fibre Status
Opposite TELEPHONE EXCHANGE, MARY AVE, ABERLOUR, AB38 9QN 3 ABERLOUR FTTC Available
Outside of DISTILLERY, CRAIGELLACHIE, ABERLOUR, AB38 9ST 2 ABERLOUR FTTC Available

PCP (Cab1) ABERLOUR Exchange is located Outside The Old Pantry The Square, Aberlour, AB38 9PX - FTTP may be planned for some of the areas covered by this cab under the HIE Digital Scotland BDUK programme. (As stated previously here https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/upgrading-to-21cn/m-p/1495921/highlight/true... )

Though best to contact HIE via hidigital@hient.co.uk with the address and phone number to see if the address/line is under the programme and for upto date info on the stage of deployment to that area/cab.

As john46 has stated in another thread this is a good starting point: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm. However the site mentioned in the link isn't always correct (ie with the cab locations and some of the data) and can be behind the data.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
@jac_95 Cheers. Hilariously, Cab2 info is outdated (although not surprising, as sites like SamKnows tend to take forever to update), as it's active now (many months late as it was meant to be active at beginning of year -_-), but I'll chase up with Digital Scotland / HIE to find out information about Cab1 to see when it'll be activated / worked on. 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@SuperSajuuk,

Haha sorry just changed cab 2. Yep can see Cab 2 is AO for FTTC here. My mistake for not picking that out :L

Edit: it was a database issue with the record the system pulled the info from.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
@jac_95 Heh, it's an easy mistake when the database takes so long to update. I've just sent an email in the direction of Digital Scotland for more information regarding this cabinet. I can't see them not upgrading this cabinet, because at least half the town is served by it and I doubt people'll be happy if only one small section of the town can get fibre.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
@jac_95 Thought I might give an update... Cab 1 has a very large coverage area, so they're back in planning to try and work out how they can provide fibre coverage on this one. Sounds like it might need more PCP's for those a bit further away from the main town center to provide proper coverage for fibre 😛
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

I doubt openreach will install new PCPs for the people a long way from exchange. They are going to be like many others either no fibre or slow fibre due to distance from the existing cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings