cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mis-Sold Infinity 2

According to BT Openreach, Infinity 2 will not work on aluminium telephone lines, even though BT are selling the product as long as the cabinet supports it. Copper is more conductive than aluminium, but also more expensive (probably explains the copper thefts), but it's no excuse not to take this into consideration when someone orders Infinity 2.

We're having to downgrade to 40/10 and reclaim the additional charges for Infinity 2 for the past few months. I wonder how many other people have been fooled into signing up for a service that will never work because their line is not copper...?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mis-Sold Infinity 2

@Reado wrote:

According to BT Openreach, Infinity 2 will not work on aluminium telephone lines,

Hi Reado,

Can you provide more details, or a link to them, in support of this statement please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

The engineer told me verbally when he came out at the weekend to check our connection due to the constant disconnections. He says the entire street uses aluminium cables and to convert them to copper would cost £10K as it is a 100-pair cable that feeds the entire street.

Clearly that's not going to happen for us then.

I asked BT today what would happen if I ordered Infinity 2 with a brand new phone line, whether they would install a copper or aluminium cable. They said "I would have thought it would be copper", but when she asked Openreach the question herself, she was told the new connection would be branched off whatever cable type existed in the street, in this case aluminium, which of course would not work.

BT have told me that Openreach do not provide them with the line type, only that the exchange and cabinet support Infinity 2. Openreach hold the cable type information, but for some reason don't share this information with ISPs.

On another note, BT have already agreed to downgrade us for free and waive any additional charges for the downgrade. The fact they actioned this so quickly suggests they know of the problems with Infinity 2 and aluminium already?!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Infinity 40/10 and Infinity 2 use the same technology but 40/10 is capped to 40/10. Other than that, they are identical.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

So what's the complaint?

A sales guy offered you Infinity 2, he made a mistake, it's been corrected. What is left to solve? This is not a "mis-selling".

------------------------------------------------------
http://kennystechtalk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Well infinity 2 does work over aluminium, as mine demonstrates perfectly what can be acheived with a fault free bit of ali.