cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Misleading BT web advertising about brodband speed

When I use BT broadband speed checker it confirms my line will support following speed:

"Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb)"

BT will accept my order but then cancel it and change it and lower the promised speed and put this in the small print:

"Your speed should be:

7.5Mb

The actual speed might be between 6.5Mb and 8Mb"

This lower speed BT broadband product is impossible to find on their website, they just talk about speed in cxcess of 20 Mb.

They charge you the same for this product which is the result of capacity issues at their exchanges, it took 10 phone calls to get BT to confirm that. 

This method of advertising one speed then change it once the contract arrives is highly questionable.  It would be interesting so hear what Trading Standards and Ofcom say about his practice. 

BT needs to come clean on its promised speed and admit that in some cases 8Mb is the MAX speed they offer.

I live in London.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Misleading BT web advertising about brodband speed

do you know if your exchange is 21CN enabled?  that would explain the speed estimate difference - check here 

check exchange here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

@imjolly wrote:

do you know if your exchange is 21CN enabled?  that would explain the speed estimate difference - check here 

check exchange here

I doubt the OP knows what you mean by that, jolly. I know I certainly don't. Please explain the difference in speed estimate...

(But I do know what 21CN means).

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

hi 21cn up to 20mb (adsl2+)

adslmax up to 8mb

the speed obtained would depend on which service the exchange offers not all exchanges offer 21cn yet
hope that makes things a little clearer

It is not a capacity issue at all

also BT retail now advertise 21cn as up to 16mb download speed not the connection speed
they also quote infinity in the same way 38mb or 76mb

this link shows more detail http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633&s_intcid=con_in...
and infinity
0 Ratings