cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Miss sold broadband package

I had contacted BT to enquire about the best package for me as the broadband speed I was getting with another provider was very slow, the sales person that I spoke to said they could connect the Fibre Optic to my copper wires to increase my speed. I stated " I HAVE THE OLD ALUMINIUM WIRES COMING TO MY HOUSE (NOT COPPER) " The sales person then did a test and I was informed that I could get "Between 13mb & 19mb, I asked "IS 13mb THE SLOWEST SPEED THAT I COULD EXPECT?" his answer was "YES", I asked is that Guaranteed that the slowest speed that is available to me is 13mb" his answer "YES we can guarantee 100% that your speed will not drop below 13mb and if it does please come back to us so we can look into any faults.

On the 2nd February 2015 my phone and broadband service was activated, within a couple of days my speed increased fron 4.5mb to approx 6mb, contacted BT who sent an engineer out and he stated "I spent a whole day trying to improve the speed to a neighbouring property and the maximum that they can get is 9mb and you are a little further away from the Green Box (Approx 1000mtrs). after the engineer had change some wires around the speed increased to 8.5mb and he stated "That's the BEST you'll get"

Contacted BT a few days later I was sent a text message "A engineer has been booked to come and visit your property and If the fault is at your property there will be a charge of £129.99p"

I replied and "And if the fault is with BT's equipment I will charge YOU £129.99P"

A second engineer visited (he was working 250 miles away from his home)

He was also unable to increase the speed as there are ALUMINIUM WIRES Coming to my house,

SO CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE CONTRACT THAT WAS MIS-SOLD TO ME ????????????????

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Miss sold broadband package

I've come across this many times before, what will happen next is BT will continue to send Engineers out repeatedly for the next 12 to 16 weeks before they finally get the point that you'll not get 13mbps......
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

speeds are sold by all ISP's as UP TO SPEEDS not guaranteed speeds as there are to many variables
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You need to contact BT again and complain that you are not getting even your lowest estimated speed and if they can not fix it you want released from your contract without penalty.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi kenmorse,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for your post.  Sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband speed since upgrading.

I understand your decision to upgrade was based on my colleague guranteeing that the minimum speed you'd receive would be 13meg and that at this moment in time the service is performing below that.

Give us the opportunity to try and sort that from here and if we can't then we'll look at the contract situation at that stage.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Why all the secrecy ????????

Let other members of the forum know what you intend to do about a fraudulent contract being sold to MYSELF !!!!

HAVE FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND FILLED OUT THE FORM. I AM PATIENTLY WAITING.

IF YOUR ANYTHING LIKE VOODOOFONE THE TOOK 5 Months TO RECTIFIE A MISS SOLD CONTRACT.

*************** I SEEM TOO DEAL WITH ALL THE ROUGE TRADERS IN THE UK *******************

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

YES there probably are a lot of variables but I was told "100% Guarantee" not to go below 13mb.

They were given the situation about the aluminium cable so why tell customers LIES !!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

the secrecy is probably to avoid all your personal information being splashed all over the internet bearing in mind this is a public forum and used by google

once you complete your email you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod assistance and as everyone thinks there problem should be given priority the emails are dealt with in order of receipt.  this can take up to 3/5 working days for mods to get back to you but they will take personal responsibility until your porblem is resolved

did you get an email with the speed '100% guaranteed' or was it just verbal?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Calm down!!!

I am pretty sure that the person who sold you the package was working on the best information available to him/her and there was nothing fruadulent going on. Why would there be? It would be inevitable that you would find out that you were not getting the speeds that were estimated for your line if the sales person was knowingly telling you a lie about the speed you would receive.

You could and should have checked your self using the same checker that the sales person used. What did it show the speeds as.

What does this checker show?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If it transpires that you can not get the speed that was estimated you will undoubtly be released from the contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@kenmorse wrote:

Why all the secrecy ????????

Let other members of the forum know what you intend to do about a fraudulent contract being sold to MYSELF !!!!

HAVE FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND FILLED OUT THE FORM. I AM PATIENTLY WAITING.

IF YOUR ANYTHING LIKE VOODOOFONE THE TOOK 5 Months TO RECTIFIE A MISS SOLD CONTRACT.

*************** I SEEM TOO DEAL WITH ALL THE ROUGE TRADERS IN THE UK *******************

A mistake is not fraud.  If Openreach's checker said that you would get 13M, then BT's sales staff would have sold you that in all good faith.  They were not aware that youre line was not good enough and that they could not provide the service.

If they cannot improve the line, then you have every right to ask for the contract to be terminated.

However, be aware that openreach will be very reluctant to replace any old aluminium line if it still works.  So if you switch to another provider that uses the same phone network, then you are likely to get much the same speed.