Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Missing Inbox messages

Hi,

I have just noticed with my email anything earlier than the 25/12 and after the end of March has disapeared from my inbox.

I have checked and the same has occured with Webmail. The same seems to have happened with deleted items. Is this occuring to anyone else? My sent items folder seems to be fine

Thanks

Iain

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Missing Inbox messages

Did you get any new devices at Christmas that you set up an email account on?

If you did check that the settings of the email account are set to "Leave a copy on Server" otherwise when you download the emails from the server onto the device they will then be deleted from the server and won't be seen in webmail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

No change in devices, just coincidental it was for messages before Christmas Day. Something similar happened a few months ago when they had an issue with a 200 email limit on IMAP messages. 

There is is definately something strange going on with the email especially since the number of spam messages has increased. I only noticed it this morning. 

Iain

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Hi - We've had exactly the same problem - any ideas on what's going on? It's really bad these have disappeared as it's our main email address and we have now losta whole host of vital emails....

Tim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

If emails are vital, why on earth do you entrust them to a third party to look after? If you used a mail client the mails would be stored on your PC where thay can be backed up.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Thats an unhelpful and very smug 'answer'. We do use Outlook but clearly syncing means those emails have also gone from Outlook as well.

That's the quality of communications we get from a 'Distinguished Guru' is it?

Congrats

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

@TiminStalbans wrote:

Thats an unhelpful and very smug 'answer'. We do use Outlook but clearly syncing means those emails have also gone from Outlook as well.

That's the quality of communications we get from a 'Distinguished Guru' is it?

Congrats

I'm not sure if your "Outlook" is Microsoft's Outlook or Microsoft Office Outlook.

As Licquorice says:- If you have your email client set up correctly you can backup emails.

MS Office Outlook will give frequent prompts for you to auto archive your mail.

That's if you have it set up correctly.

Alternatively, a system image restore, if you were to create a system image to an external drive,  at intervals, will also recover those files.

Or even a files and folders backup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Hi RibbleLancs - it was Desktop Outlook, and I've managed to get everything back thanks to finding a copy of the Outlook PST file that I had saved prior to the all these email being deleted. I'm now relieved to say that twe are completely free of BT email but have all the email history at hand.

It's noticeable that BT themselves give zero advice on how to migrate away from their email system if you cease broadband/telephone services, and possibly more importantly after the initial 'You have ceased services here's what will happen' email there are NO reminders as the 30 day limit approaches. We came up against a very unhelpful corporate machine with the occasional attempt from one or two excellent support agents to help.

gg30340's tip about unchecking the 'delete from server' setting is absolutely vital when first setting up the desktop Outlook BT mail account. My view is it shouldn't be ticked by default.

licquorice's principle is sound.

I think there's a need for a comprehensive guide to managing BT email and/or migrating away from it as a sticky post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 9

@TiminStalbans wrote:

Hi RibbleLancs - it was Desktop Outlook, and I've managed to get everything back thanks to finding a copy of the Outlook PST file that I had saved prior to the all these email being deleted. I'm now relieved to say that twe are completely free of BT email but have all the email history at hand.

It's noticeable that BT themselves give zero advice on how to migrate away from their email system if you cease broadband/telephone services, and possibly more importantly after the initial 'You have ceased services here's what will happen' email there are NO reminders as the 30 day limit approaches. We came up against a very unhelpful corporate machine with the occasional attempt from one or two excellent support agents to help.

gg30340's tip about unchecking the 'delete from server' setting is absolutely vital when first setting up the desktop Outlook BT mail account. My view is it shouldn't be ticked by default.

licquorice's principle is sound.

I think there's a need for a comprehensive guide to managing BT email and/or migrating away from it as a sticky post on this forum.

Pleased you are fixed.

I was made aware of your situation 3 years ago when I had to reformat a desktop. (The cpu broke away from the heat sink).

The pc stored a backup of pst files in a :/d drive and I recovered mails going back to year 20007.

You can periodically export mail files to your documents folder, if you want to do things that way. At least you will have something you could save on an external drive.

0 Ratings