cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Mixing old and new adapters

I already have 2 of the white (PG902) Comtrend powerline adapters. If I were to upgrade to Youview would I be correct to assume that the adapters used now are of a different type? If so, can they be paired (matched) with the Adapters I own now so I can add them to the existing setup?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
bayview
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mixing old and new adapters

Hi

I too would like to know an answer to this. Prior to getting BT Vision, I had been using 85Mbps powerline adapters in the house for a few years and had hoped they'd play nicely with the 200Mbps HP200PT64BTs that came with my BT Vision box. Unfortunately, the 85s couldn't see the signal being sent by the 200, so I ended up having to plug both an 85 and a 200 poweline into the homehub to effectively act as seperate networks. Not ideal, but fine.

When I got my YouView box, I'd then hoped to be able to simply have a single 200 plugged into the homehub and the other existing 200, plus the new pair of 200s that came with Youview, to use around the house. The pair that came with YouView were HP200PT64BT2s and they don't commincate with the original 200 either.

Finally, a second pair of HP200PT64BT2s arrived in the post a day or two after the YouView package, as a total surprise, but rather strangely, they won't pair up with the other new HP200PT64BT2s either. Are these things locked down so tightly that they won't even let you can't have more than a pair running at a time? I'd have thought that me having 4 brand new HP200PT64BT2s would mean that I could simply plug one into the homehub, another into the Youview and then have another pair to use around the house. No luck.

Does anyone know anything more about how these have been modified by BT?

Thanks

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

What happens when you try linking them together
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

I don't have these particular adapters (I use Netgears) but I do know that out of the box Homeplugs are set to work together in pairs (for simplification as this is how most people use them). However they are more than capable of working in networks of 3,4,5 and up.

If you want more than the two units to work together in the same network you have to follow a 'training process'. I have 4 Netgears working in the same network and to add the third and fourth I had to press the training button on one of the existing units quickly followed by the training button on the unit I was trying to add.

If you don't have the manual then I suggest you google the manufacturers website and look for documentation explaining how to do this on your adapters.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@Colin_London wrote:

I don't have these particular adapters (I use Netgears) but I do know that out of the box Homeplugs are set to work together in pairs (for simplification as this is how most people use them). However they are more than capable of working in networks of 3,4,5 and up.

If you want more than the two units to work together in the same network you have to follow a 'training process'. I have 4 Netgears working in the same network and to add the third and fourth I had to press the training button on one of the existing units quickly followed by the training button on the unit I was trying to add.

If you don't have the manual then I suggest you google the manufacturers website and look for documentation explaining how to do this on your adapters.

BT include setup instructions within the box which also includes how to add to an existing set

0 Ratings
trilly
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Just received new box last week and had same issue, and still have. Spent 2 hours last night but finally got the bt devices and my solwise 200 all working together. Unplugged the devices to put them where they are need only to find the by devices would no longer recognise the solwise devices, why they would work then lose the settings is beyond me. I think i may have a dodgy device as one drops connection even when just the 2 bt devices are just connected to themselves. Off to do something more productive now!
0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

The older contrend and new adapters won't work together as they use different protocols, but spares of both are not hard to find
0 Ratings
bayview
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi there

I found the instruction sheet and managed to successfully reset all of the adapters, so now have the four BT2s and the original BTs all working together on the one loop. Perfect.

Thanks

0 Ratings
bdb
Message 9 of 9

I have been fighting with connecting multiple adapters for months. Where did you find these instructions? Are they published on the Internet?

0 Ratings