cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SumoandMick
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Mobile signal through BT Broadband router problem ?

I run a business from home and receive numerous emails giving a mobile number as the contact.

There's no mobile signal where I live, meaning I have to use a landline and absorb the costs. Then two weeks ago I was told that if I changed the settings on my mobile (EE) to Wifi Calling it would allow me to have a signal via my BT Broadband router and subsequently make free calls through my EE contract.

Unfortunately this has not happened.

All that I have actually achieved is geting a mobile signal within the house and a charge from BT for a call. Is it possible to achieve what I'm wanting ?

Thanks

BT bills

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mobile signal through BT Broadband router problem ?

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

WiFi Calling is just a way of routing calls thro' your home BB router when the mobile signal in your home is weak. Calls are still charged the same whether they go via WiFi Calling or directly over the mobile network; they are not free. It is purely a routing mechanism, not a charging mechanism.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

wifi calling is more than just allowing you to make calls over your home broadband connection  BT Smarttalk allowed you to do that and cbarged you as if you were making a call from your home phone  wifi calling allows you to make call over a wifi connection when mobile signalis poor or non existant and the cost of the call comes out of your mobile allowance - ie your free minutes  some providers hacve a seemless transition from wifi to mobile signal when you are moving around outside

a google serach will give even better explanation

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

OK, when I said they are not free, I meant they come out your calls allowance if you have one or are chargeable otherwise. The point is WiFi Calling cost exactly the same as direct calls over the mobile network.

Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@SumoandMick: Is that bill in your OP an EE bill or a BT bill? Do you have a calls allowance with EE?

There would seem to be no reason for BT to be charging you for calls from your EE mobile even if you were doing WiFi Calling over the BT BB network.