cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
General_Zod
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Modem Dropouts

Im getting 2/3 BT Infinity connection dropouts daily, the DSL light on the Openreach Modem goes and then comes back within a few minutes, some days its only once, some days 4/5 times. Ive done a quiet line test and hear not a jot so i assume its not a line, possibly a faulty modem,  i dont know, but i do know this shouldnt be happening, i was rather hoping for a rock solid connection having only switched back to BT in the last few weeks.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated as, with all due respect, ringing India seems to get you nowhere!

p.s. ive also emailed the mods about this in an attempt to get their apparently excellent help too.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Modem Dropouts

Is your Openreach FTTC modem wall mounted? If not it could be overheating which is a common problem with the boxes. If so, then phone up the helpline and tell them the modem is overheating and you need a new one. This will require an engineer to install it though.
0 Ratings
General_Zod
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Yes it is wall mounted, i made sure the eng who came to install Infinity did just that, and its never hot to touch, at all, luke warm at most if that, which is to be expected, so i dont think its that.

0 Ratings
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

If you haven't already, then I would check out the diagnostic steps on the BT Help Website here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13766/c/346 and then follow up by running a line test using the link provided in that article.
0 Ratings
MrMischief
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I had the same problem after my Infinity was installed. Turns out it was the modem that was at fault. The line tested perfectly. OR engineer replaced the modem and since then no drop outs!

0 Ratings
harrjoa
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

What is the version of the modem? Anything above 3B should work fine. Anything below has the tendency to go faulty.
0 Ratings
General_Zod
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Not sure on the version harrjoa, as i only got it installed 2/3 weeks ago im assuming it should be a newer model? Any way of finding out bar taking it off the wall to look?

Yes, thats what i am hoping MrMischief, im going to request a new modem and hope that solves the issue.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

The sticker is on the bottom so you'd have to take it off the wall. It'll be a 3B if you've just had it installed. You may as well get an engineer visit booked to look at the fault, if he suspects the modem he's replace it..if he finds a line fault he SHOULD fix it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
General_Zod
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Best way to book that eng visit Webby?
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Call the help desk and report a dropping connection fault. They'll be able to organise an engineer visit if they can see that the service is dropping and no faults are highlighted during their testing.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings