Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wafu1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Modem and Router positioning relative to Master Socket

I had an aborted attempt at getting the Infinity upgrade installed earlier this week.

When the BT Engineer saw that my Master Socket has a number of telephone extensions running from it and it is nowhere near my router (HH2), he said the Master Socket couldn't easliy be moved (don't want it moved) and otherwise he would have to run an extension cable from downstairs to the study area upstairs (not easy through a wide stair well and landing area).  

He therefore suggested getting an electrician to run a cable from the Master Socket (in the Hall cupboard) to the router position upstairs, via an existing cable run through the roofspace, which will be much tidier.

Can someone please tell me (as I can't get an easy answer from BT by phone):

1.  Can the modem and router be at the end of the extension cable, or does the modem have to be at the Master Socket (where there is no power point or ventialtion)?

2.  What sort of cable do I need to use for the extension - I'm assuming Cat5?

3.  What end plugs are required at the master socket and modem ends?

4.  When the Infinity package arrived through the post, it contained only cables and instructions etc.  Does the Engineer bring the HH3?

Many thanks (in advance). Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Modem and Router positioning relative to Master Socket

The connection from master socket to modem is RJ45 (4 core telephone cable). From modem to HH is CAT5e.

Infinity Package should be the welcome pack (cables instructions etc) and the HH3. The engineer only brings the modem.

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Hi Wafu,

4 first - The HH3 should arrive with the welcome pack - this depends on the agent ordering it (mine didn't order it first time round). Supposedly the technician occasionaly has a spare with him.

For the rest of the question - my master socket was in the dining room - the existing hub was in my office, not an easy route.

Because we have solid internal walls, I had set up an ethernet network in conduit around the outside of the house. Luckily in the dining room was a cat5 socket and at the other end was a cat 5 plug.

The techie positioned the modem next to the new Master socket - the ethernet cable from the modem was then plugged into the cat 5 socket. The plug in the office was inserted into the infinity socket and away we went.

I believe I read somewhere that the techie can install up to 30 metres of cable (not sure if it's the cable from the master socket to the modem or the ethernet cable out of the modem) - but it must be surfaced run, but it can go through walls. My techie didn't seem to want to go down that route.

I would also advise you look at the videos on line to see what the techie should do - luckily I had - my techie was a very nice guy but had to be led a little - it confused him in that we had what he described as a star system. Ihe incoming service being split just inside the front door - one circuit to the master downstairs - one circuit upstairs to the bedroom.

All the best - hope I didn't ramble too much

Michael

Wafu1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I will chase up the order of the HH3 - thanks.

Having now found the set-up video, it seems the extension cable can be run form the master socket to a convenient spot for the modem and router - this begs the question what sort of cable is the data extension cable?

The engineer told me that I couldn't use an existing phone extension cable from the master (HH2 plugged into now) as the attenuation on the phone cable would reduce the Infinity speed drastically.

Still slightly confused....Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Have a search of the forums

For example click this one.- Infinity Data Extension Cable Question

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Wafu1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks - almost got the answer!!  if I'd known it was so complicated......  I hope it's worth the hassle and wait.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the star... Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Wafu1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Another question...... Is the BB that comes from "the street" to the master socket in a very different form than that from the modem to the router and therefore not as susceptible to attenuation?  ie why does the modem have to be adjacent to the master socket but the HH can be 30m or so away down a Cat5 extension? 

Am about to commit to running a Cat5 cable up through the roofspace and back to where the PC sits and get a power socket fitted in the cupboard by the master socket.... 

Thanks (again) in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

The CAT5e cables from  modem to router are designed for distances up to 100Mts without appreciable loss of signal strength.

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Hi,

With my installation,my own cable terminated in a cat 5 socket near to the modem so that the cable from the welcome pack ( i only received 1 cable, not the 2 cables that some receive) with 2 plugs (one each end) one went into the modem and one went into the socket.

At the hub end of the cable I terminated my cable in a cat 5 plug ready to go into the "infinity" socket on the hub.

This way you won't need to use any inline adapters.

All the best

Michael.

0 Ratings