cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Modem and router set up too far away from my computer

I got BT infinity today, and the guys set it up at the worst socket available, and as a result my connection kinda sucks. I have never had a speed test go above 14MB/s, whereas my brother on the other side of the house, right above the router, gets 40+ every time. The engineer saidb that it proaobly wouldn't be a problem, but since it is being a problem, could I get someone to come out and move it to a different socket without having to pay to get it moved?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Modem and router set up too far away from my computer

did you tell him where you wanted it installing?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I wasn't there at the time, but my dad was and he told the guy that we've had problems with wireless in that spot, but the engineer just said that it shouldn't be a problem because the B router is more powerful than the other ones.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Unless you specifically asked for the VDSL Modem and Router to be installed in a different location than i'm afraid its to late. You will either have to pay for an RJ11 data socket to be provided or use powerline adaptors.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 8

to maximize wireless speed use
wireless n
aes encryption
wpa2 security
40 mhz bandwidth

use inssider to locate a free channel and set the router to that
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Moving the modem is more difficult, but you can easily move the router as long as it is fairly easy to run an ethernet cable between the modem and new router position.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 8

There are some nice relatively new devices out that are homeplugs with wireless access points built-in which make extending wifi very easy.
Useful if you don't want more cables 😉
0 Ratings
jintysbhoys
Message 8 of 8

Have had the same problem for over two years!! told engineer when he was doing it that it was the furthest away place in the house, said it would be fine, which it is not, they now want 170 pounds plus 75 pounds for a new socket to move it!!

0 Ratings