Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barkaba
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Modem loosing connection then downloading using powerline adapters

Hi,

i have recently changed powerline adapters from TP-Link (was dropping connections) to Trendnet TPL-408E2K plus one extra Trendnet TPL-408E. But now every time I start downloading something my modem loosing internet connection and I have to wait fot it to establish it again, and it all starts again, downloading something causes modem loose connection.

I have put my TP-Link back to the socket next to the modem, and it all works fine, but its not the point, as I get dropouts back.

What might be causing that internet connections dropouts?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Modem loosing connection then downloading using powerline adapters

How many powerline adapters are actually connected to an Ethernet port on the home hub?

You must only have one connected to the home hub Ethernet port, that becomes the master (AP), all others must be slaved to that one master, otherwise you will get Ethernet spanning issues resulting in a LAN port being locked out.

Make sure that the one connected to the home hub is in fact the master, and not a slave. There is usually an indicator on the devices to show which is master.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 3 of 6

I would agree with Keith if the Powerlines were Comtrend (old tech supplied by BT during BT Vision days!) but the modern ones are self configuring out of the box. Connect one to the Hub/ Router and the second one else where to your PC /TV etc. The third one will need to be paired by syncing to one of the others all ready connected.

I have literally installed 2 Trendnets, TPL-420E (1 hour ago) without any configuring and did what I described above and they are working fine.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

different makes of powerline adapters may not pair with each other

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@imjolly that's not what the OP says. But I agree with you what you are saying in general, however, there is a Standard now with all AV and AV2 Powerlines that they should work together regardless of brands, and most of them work out of the box without having to have and AP (Access Point) Powerline. They just configure themselves.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I agree there is a standard but even so many still do not work with other makes  I use 4 tplink and worked right from unpacking after pairing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings