cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Modem mode for a Hub 5?

After years on Virgin Media where I used an ASUS router alongside a Virgin cable modem, I now find myself having moved house stuck on BT Infinity. So far, 2 weeks in, the service (both internet and customer service) is staggeringly awful.

As well the and lies from customer service and the terrible internet speeds, another issue has arisen. The home hub 5 seems incapable of sustaining 5ghz connections. I have a bunch of 5ghz devices, mostly Apple stuff, but also a Samsung Smart TV. All of them will suffer massive slow downs on 5ghz to various degrees, and some will eventuallly get cut off from getting any data at all. They still think they're connected, but data will have stopped and will never start again, unless I disconnect then reconnect them.

I've talked to BT about this of course, and even got a replacement hub, but the problems persist. All of these devices worked flawlessly on my old ASUS router on 5ghz. I could use 2.4ghz of course, and I have to do just that as the 5ghz is so broken, but speeds are around half that of 5ghz. (which were not exactly impressive to begin with)

Is it possible to stick the hub 5 in a dumb modem only mode, to essentially make it like a Virgin Media cable modem? Then I could get a real wifi router, one which actually knows how to put out a 5ghz signal, and rely on that instead.

Being with BT is like going back in time by about 10 years. It's amazing how a company so big could offer a service so comprehensively terrible.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Modem mode for a Hub 5?

Hi I don't know if you willing to spent a bit more money but you could buy an OpenReach modem off eBay(seen a few that are going for under£15 with postage). That should then work with your wifi router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

The closest you can get to modem mode with the HH5 is to put the new router into the DMZ on the HH5 and maybe turn off wifi, uPNP and the firewall on the HH5 too.

Alternatively, there are various things you can do with the HH5 to try and fix the wifi - turn off smart setup, split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands using different SSIDs, select your own channel instead of Automatic, change the Wireless Interface type to the highest speed.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I already tried all of that unfortunately, but the 5ghz remains broken. If the home hub also lacks a modem mode then that's the final nail in the coffin. I'll try to get out of the contract and go elsewhere. I can only take so much terrible service, and BT are now way over that line. Never before have I seen a company so disorganised and with such poor products. They're in a class of their own.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Getting an Openreach modem at auction will probably be easier as suggested by the other poster. I recommend a Huawei HG612 v3B.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

you will be charged cancellation fees as wireless problems (coverage ) is not guaranteed by any ISP
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

It's not a wireless issue in the traditional (range/coverage) sense. It looks to me as if the home hub 5 is simply incompatible with Apple hardware, our is fundamentally flawed in some way which makes the 5ghz range incredibly unstable. Either way, it's a product which is not fit for purpose.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I have a full Apple set up here and use a hub 5 and have no problems and never have any and know others with Apple setups with no problems either
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

So where does that leave me? My Apple kit worked fine on my old router, and I've now had two home hub 5s, and neither works. BT support are as usual completely clueless.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hello

Whilst all my devices seem to work. I am so disapointed with the spped of service. I live in an older house and did not expect anywhere near what was advertised. However I did expect improvment on my old provider that I had been with for years. If I had the BT Infinity on a 'Sale or Return' bases it would of been returned by now. 

This does not help you but I was thinking it was just me. So I have garnered some relief. 

All he best.

Russell.

0 Ratings