cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Mods Help - Light Broadband user - surge in Upload usage and extra charges in a single day.

Hi,

I'm a light broadband user on the infinity 20GB, TV deal package. My normal usage has been around 12Gb per month

which is high considering I just browse the web infequently. I don't game, stream tv, download music or videos. It's

just two 60+ years old in the house.

In the last few days I have received usage warnings saying my usage is getting near the 20Gb limit and I'm only half way through December. The first warning came on the 12th Dec saying I was at 14GB. On checking my account today it is now saying 23GB but was last updated at 23:59 on the 14th Dec. I'm very concerned though about a note further down which reads "£31.8 charge incurred for additional usage." I've had no email through to explain what this charge is and I'm concerned something is wrong with my account. 

1. 15/12/2014

Total usage is now over 18GB. Advisory email sent to .....

2. 15/12/2014

£31.8 charge incurred for additional usage. Usage email sent to .....

3. 12/12/2014

Total usage is now over 14GB. Advisory email sent to .....

On checking the usage breakdown it is showing usage upload to be 15GB; that seems an extremely high amount for somebody who checks the bbc news, goes on ebay and does a few google searches per day.

As the usage monitor doesn't tell me what this 15GB is supposed to be I'm lost as to what the problem is. I have up to date Norton anti virus software on my laptop. Please help as I don't want a stupid high fees that I can't explain.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Mods Help - Light Broadband user - surge in Upload usage and extra charges in a single day.

with that sort of upload usage do you have a backup running to the cloud or some other type of backup?  smartphone/iphone backing up data?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Re: Mods Help - Light Broadband user - surge in Upload usage and extra charges in a single day.

no cloud backup at all. I'm just an average web browser user doing nothing fancy with my broadband. I do have the TV package with BT broadband but my youview traffic shows as 0.23GB. I've still not had the email from BT that says I was going to be charged £31.80 extra however on logging into my account my bill is now showing this charge. What is worrying is that it says the usage was last updated on the 14th so far all I know it could be increasing even further without my knowledge.

It really needs investigating with a breakdown of the traffic so that I can determine if this is a problem with the usage monitor, a virus or somebody using the WIFI. I just don't know.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

have you checked using hub manager to see the data usage - only any use if router on 24/7 since start of month

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I don't know how to check the hub manager but I'll take a look tonight. The router hasn't been switched off though so hopefully I should be able to check.

0 Ratings
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Ok, so I have checked my usage on the home hub and they don't match up with what the BT usage monitor is showing. The homehub over the last 4 days shows a total of 3GB which is high in itself however the BT usage is saying that from the 12th to the 15th my usage jumped from 14Gb to over 24GB today. How is this possible. Surely I shouldn't be charged this extra £31.80

if the stats don't even match up. What options do I have here? Can one of the BT mods help please?? 

Broadband stats 16-12-14.jpg

0 Ratings
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

bt usage.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I see at bottom of your screen you have google+ hangouts running and sharing - do you use this a lot?

0 Ratings
mdavies210
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

No that was the first time as my son was remotely helping me to find the homehub usage and create a picture of the screen.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Your usage meter shows that approximately 1/3 was download (data received) and 2/3 was upload (data sent).  I would think that amount of data sent from your home to the internet isn't typical for the type of use you describe. If all you do is browse web sites, watch the odd on-line video and check e-mails then what does the large amount of sent data relate to and to where is it being sent?

If the BT figures are correct then some possibilities are a PC file sharing program (either installed intentionally or by malware), a PC automatic internet cloud based data backup program, or a PC live video chat program outgoing connection being left open for long periods.

You can install a separate network traffic meter program on a PC to track how much data the PC is sending/receiving and which are the main programs doing it. There are free programs available. You can also look at the real-time network activity reported through Windows Task Manager if using a Windows PC.

0 Ratings