cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Monitor Data Consumption on Home Hub 5 - SNMP?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find it.

We appear to be having data-usage problems. BT tell us that we are using a phenomenal amount of data but from what I can understand of the stats available on our Home Hub 5 (HH5) we aren't using nearly that much.

I don't know whether this is a compilation problem at BT, a faulty bit of firmware on our HH5, one of my kids downloading films 24-7, an out-of-control XBox, or whatever.

So far my discussions with BT on the topic have been less than helpful. The answers to my questions seem somewhat less than direct and appear to be weighted depending on what the respondent seems to think I should or shouldn't be allowed to know.

I would like to find a way of measuring and recording total data transfer through the HH5 without needing to log-in the whole time to read the numbers from the screen. (Also, reading the numbers every now and then doesn't help if/when the box re-sets, as the counters all go to zero again).

I understand that there is a piece of software called NetWorx and another called NetLimiter - and there may be others too: all suggestions gratefully received - that can interrogate most routers and record/collate the necessary data.

I further understand that NetWorx (and I don't know about NetLimiter) can be installed on all windows based PCs to view individual use for those machines too, so my next step would be to be able to discriminate usage between machines, etc.

I don't know if the HH5 is suitable for any of these software packages. I understand they need an SNMP capability - whatever that is - and, as usual, there is no information anywhere on the BT site to tell me if the HH5 has this feature.

Does anyone know?

Supposing it does support SNMP, and supposing that I can install the software correctly, does anyone know whether I need to keep a PC constantly 'on' and connected to the HH5 in order to record a full picture of data consumption, or is it OK to, say, connect each evening to do some sort of download?

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I'm starting at a fairly low knowledge level.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Monitor Data Consumption on Home Hub 5 - SNMP?

The HH5 doesn't support SNMP
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Any idea if it supports anything else that allows this sort of monitoring?

Another thing mentioned was UPnP, whatever that is......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 11

@HermesMercury wrote:

Hi there,

Here's a wikipedia link, that explains UPnP. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

@Rottie wrote:

@HermesMercury wrote:

Hi there,

Here's a wikipedia link, that explains UPnP. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

It doesn't appear that the Wikipedia link tells me whether the HH5 supports UPnP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

The HH5 supports uPNP
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Hi again,

The HH5, being a relatively new router, should support UPnP, but I don't use one, so unfortunately, I cannot 100% confirm this, but I would be extremely surprised to discover this "feature" wasn't available.

What some people tend to do, is instead of relying on UPnP, they manually forward any relevant ports that they require, using the web interface of their router. In fact, some people are of the mind that manually forwarding ports gives them greater security, as they have more control over which ports are open on their router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Rottie

Thank you for this advice, but I am not sure what 'manually forwarding ports' is and, excuse my ignorance, I have no idea how this will help me monitor data consumption.

Are you able to elucidate?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 11

@HermesMercury wrote:

Rottie

Thank you for this advice, but I am not sure what 'manually forwarding ports' is and, excuse my ignorance, I have no idea how this will help me monitor data consumption.

Are you able to elucidate?

Hi again,

I'll do my best to break it down for you into layman's terms, although understanding even the basics of port forwarding does need a basic understanding of the way a network works, so I'll keep it as brief as I can. 🙂

Basically, UPnP, Or Universal Plug and Play, to give it it's full name, is a protocol, which opens the required port, ports or port ranges, on an "as and when" basis, when a piece of software or a network enabled advice asks it to and it should close those ports again, when the software, or network enabled device doesn't need them.

For example, let's say you have a XBox 360 console, then in order for you to play games online, it would need to communicate on port 3074 (TCP and UDP), amongst others, but for the sake of argument and this example, 3074 is one of the most commonly used ports. 🙂

If you were using UPnP, then basically the router would check it's DHCP table to see which internal IP address the 360 is assigned to and basically say "Okay, 192.168.1.xx is requesting port 3074 to be open" and it would automatically allow the flow of packets in both directions.

Now, this is where some people think that UPnP is insecure, as if you have malware which has installed itself on your computer, EG a virus, trojan, or even some adware, then this can make requests to UPnP to open ports to the internet to communicate with servers outside your control and hence, chew into any data allowances if unchecked.

However, if you manually open ports, known as "port forwarding", basically, you are disabling UPnP and making a physical list or table of allowed IPs and ports that are allowed to comminucate with the wider internet and will not allow any application or network enabled device access, unless it is specifically entered into the port forwarding rules.

Most people tend to be of the opinion that disabling UPnP and manually forwarding ports has a greater degree of control, hence a greater degree of security for your network and I for one, would for the most part agree with them on that point, from a networking stance. 🙂

However, what I would always advocate to anybody is to establish security from the ground up: Never use an adminstrator/root account for daily usage; start in the knowledge that your machine/machines are fully protected with a effective AV solution and are checked regularly for adware and finally, use UPnP, only if you do not know or are not familiar with the process and intricacies of manually port forwarding.

If you follow these simple steps, then you won't go too far wrong. 🙂

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Good morning,

Is there anyway of monitoring data use via a mac for the HH5, I work from home and my wife runs a fairly chunky website - we both use Mac running 10.9.5 (OSX Mavericks).

We live in a, very, rural area and are achieving averages of 25/7 down/upload so that is quite pleasing given we were on 1.3/0.4 just two weeks ago.

0 Ratings