cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevepa
Message 1 of 3

Monitoring BB usage

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this particular forum so be gentle with me lol!

I am currently on BT option1 and therefore have a 10GB monthly limit. As a relatively light user (I rarely download music or video) I was a little surprised to receive an e-mail from BT about 8 days ago advising me I was close to this limit, i.e. some 7.5GB.

I had only ever received one of these before about 3 years ago so paid little attention to it and carried on as normal. However, it continued to fester in my subconscious and 2 days ago, on the off-chance, I decided out of curiosity to check my usage via the BT BB usage meter on this site.

I couldn't believe my eyes! In those few days I was now up to 14.15GB and as far as I was concerned had hardly used my broadband other than the usual e-mail traffic. I contacted BT about this (fearing I'd been hacked and someone had hi-jacked my account to download DVD's etc.) but it turned out it had been me.

According to one "Guvinder", watching video's (i.e. youtube) or listening to music (i.e. spotify) and listening/watching the BBCi player etc. is the same as downloading? Therefore my question is as follows;

Though the BT BB usage meter tells you how much you've used, is there any way of monitoring your usage that is ongoing AND tells you which website is using how much download?

Also, is there any way I am able to flag my own usage and set it at say 9.5GB so I know without having to log into BT every day?

All or any feedback will be much appreciated, thank you.

Steve.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Monitoring BB usage

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

Are you using devices other than PC's? If so then you need to keep an eye on your online BT download meter. The usage stats on the hub include data downloaded via the FON connection on your hub but the FON data is excluded from the Online monitor.

I have not yet found a monitor that shows where the data is downloaded / uploaded from - but something like Networx (installed on every PC) can show when the data was downloaded and by which PC.

Geoff
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Monitoring BB usage

@stevepa wrote:

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this particular forum so be gentle with me lol!

I am currently on BT option1 and therefore have a 10GB monthly limit. As a relatively light user (I rarely download music or video) I was a little surprised to receive an e-mail from BT about 8 days ago advising me I was close to this limit, i.e. some 7.5GB.

I had only ever received one of these before about 3 years ago so paid little attention to it and carried on as normal. However, it continued to fester in my subconscious and 2 days ago, on the off-chance, I decided out of curiosity to check my usage via the BT BB usage meter on this site.

I couldn't believe my eyes! In those few days I was now up to 14.15GB and as far as I was concerned had hardly used my broadband other than the usual e-mail traffic. I contacted BT about this (fearing I'd been hacked and someone had hi-jacked my account to download DVD's etc.) but it turned out it had been me.

According to one "Guvinder", watching video's (i.e. youtube) or listening to music (i.e. spotify) and listening/watching the BBCi player etc. is the same as downloading? Therefore my question is as follows;

Though the BT BB usage meter tells you how much you've used, is there any way of monitoring your usage that is ongoing AND tells you which website is using how much download?

Also, is there any way I am able to flag my own usage and set it at say 9.5GB so I know without having to log into BT every day?

All or any feedback will be much appreciated, thank you.

Steve.

Hi Steve.

The program Networx http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ is very good for displaying usage on a per machine basis (of course consoles, smartphones and TVs are going to be a problem). There are other programs to check (e.g. netlimiter 2) - but depends on your OS. I'm not aware of any specific packages that can tell how much is used against a particular site - but the ones you've mentioned will be high in general.

As you've found out, watching iPlayer, Youtube etc all count towards usage (unless you use iPlayer via Replay on a BTVision box - which is now free to watch).

If you use a lot of the above - or you might believe that your use of the will increase, but particularly Spotify which is a p2p system and uploads as well as downloads - so there's a "hidden" usage figure, then frankly you might be better off going for the option 2 package which has a 40GB limit before extra costs.

The cost of option 1 using over 15GB but less than 20GB a month will cost you an extra 10 quid, whereas option 2 is just over a fiver for up to 40GB.

0 Ratings