cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonesiii
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Monthly drop in BB speed to 0.1 Mb yes I do mean just 100-120 kb/s!!

Ok, I have recently persuaded my brother to change from his old provider to BT as I had always found them to be the best for me - this was 4-5 months ago.

However, since having signed up to Broadband, every month without fail the speed drops from 4ish Mb down to just 0.1!!

I had not previously noted a patttern but it seems to be roughly at or around the 20/22 of each month and can take up to a week for them to "fix"

Every single time I call I get asked all the usual basic stuff - connecting to test socket, quiet line check etc etc although last time I really exploded and refused to do all that - and I think it got sorted within around 48hrs - the line was apparently upgraded - yeh right!

I fail to see or understand what on earth they do to keep breaking it and then magically fixing it with a different excuse each time - once it was even upgraded from 4 to 6 Mbs - great for just under a month before it broke again.

The speed is always ALWAYS 100-130Kbs when it goes - ie absolutely useless and around 2% of what it should be, yes you did read that right, 2%!!

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong and why they seemingly keep cutting the service before magically fixing it??  i will have to call tomorrow for what will be either the 4th or 5th time - its affecting my ability to run my admittedly small ebay business - what safeguards / recourse to compensation etc do i have - how many times must this happen or is it just something I should expect every month from now on??

Just to make it clear, nothing has ever changed on my home set up and i am 110% sure it is something they are doing as they do magically "fix" it each time only for it to go again about a month later - anyone else had anything like this and for so many times??

Its shocking and to think they want to roll out BT vision and take more of peoples money when i cant even watch a bl**dy 2 minutes youtube clip in anything less than around 20 minutes!!

Any help / thoughts appreciated - thanks, Steve

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Monthly drop in BB speed to 0.1 Mb yes I do mean just 100-120 kb/s!!

welcome to the community forum where members help members

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the   adsl stats  from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester  and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?  I appreciate you have gone through this with the helpline but it helps eliminate problems with any internal wiring

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bonesiii
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

ADSL Line Status Connection Information Line state: Connected Connection time: 0 days, 20:07:27 Downstream: 5.969 Mbps Upstream: 448 Kbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 15.0 dB / 17.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 15.6 dB / 7.0 dB Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 37438528 / 0 CRC Events (Down/Up): 83 / 0 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 113 / 0 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 79 / 0

Copy and paste so sorry not too easy to read but shouldnt contain any mistakes that way!

Not connected directly to master socket but have tried direct connect to in past (3 times!) with no difference. 3 sockets in use in house all with appropriate filters. quiet line tests done previously - all ok. 

think the up duration of 20 hrs is in relation to a tiny power cut during a storn last night - its uaually on 24/7.

never looked at this before - the downstream of almost 6Mb is I think what i should be getting after they upgraded from 4 to 6 a couple of months ago before it pretty quickly went back to 4 lol. But 0.1 is ridiculous!!

Once or even twice i could understand but 5 times, and regularly makes no sense to me at all!

thank you for your prompt reply, appreciated.

0 Ratings
Bonesiii
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

ps - I dont/cant use BT speedtester  - not even the BT person could when she remote connected before - maybe because it is SO slow? I dont know! and then when you try again it blocks you for an hour 😞

I use speedtest.net - it showed a ping of 127 earlier - most times its around 80, download was 0.12, upload was a little quicker but not the 0.35 norm I dont think.

sorry, hope that helps?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

we really need the bt test could you keep trying it i have just tried it and it is working ok also could you connect the hub to the test socket as it eliminates any possible internal wiring problems giving a direct exchange connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

you are on adslmax up to 8mb and have not been upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+.  with your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of 8128.

if you cannot connect to the test socket have you removed the orange bellwire from all of your sockest as this can cause interference on your broadband 

bellwire removal

without btspeedtester results you cannot tell your profile which affects your download speed

your connection time is very short is that due to the router dropping connection or you manually resetting the router in the hope of getting a better sped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bonesiii
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

I will retry test socket connection tomorrow if i have time - i am actually outside in a caravan at the mo lol - long story dont ask! But I am only about 10 feet from the router.  Will also try the BT speed test.

Had no idea about the orange wire - will look into that also when more awake and indeed indoors!

But I am pretty certain it isnt a problem "my end" - how else can it be fine for say 80% of each month - and when BT "fix" it each time (which they always eventually do with a different excuse) - its nothing im doing - its all them?

Am I trying to apply too much logic here?! 

I do appreciate your help guys - will post again tomorrow with more info hopefully - cheers 🙂

0 Ratings
Bonesiii
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

ps sorry - connection time is short due to a recent power cut i believe - I have not reset the router myself - not since I realised many weeks ago that this was pretty much out of my control.

it honestly feels like Bt are deliberately apportioning BB - ie giving me it for 3 weeks of every 4 then dropping it and giving it to someone else lol - I know thats stupid bit if it helps to explain the amazing regularity of this problem, its worth saying!

0 Ratings
DONNA3110
Message 9 of 12

nothing but problems with bt so slow downloads 0.64-1.5mbs so not as bad as yours but still half speed had enough of it now
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

most likely a noise issue but we will see more when you can remove the bell wire
0 Ratings