cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

More Sales Calls.

I am receiving a number of calls from numbers beginning with 020., presumably London.

These are 9 digit numbers. When answered there is a short delay and then a connection is made to what seems to be an Indian call centre.

These calls can be blocked, but there seems to be little point in doing this, as the numbers never repeat.

Is this a new trend? i.e. is this another way of disguising calls from international international call centres?

There have been similar calls from Birmingham numbers - 0121--.

I upset one caller who told me that there was no need to raise my voice!!!

You can imagine the reply.............. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: More Sales Calls.

Are you with TPS? If you are, it's worth reporting breaches from within the UK. It's only happened to me once but I reported it and got a grovel from the company concerned.

TPS can't do a thing about calls originating from overseas though.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thanks.

Yes I'm with TPS and will contact them. It's yet another ploy from the sales callers - mostly surveys, energy saving and PPP.

It's an annoying problem as I have difficulties in reading the screen on the handset - (to be rectified early next year).

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Thanks.

Yes I'm with TPS and will contact them. It's yet another ploy from the sales callers - mostly surveys, energy saving and PPP.

It's an annoying problem as I have difficulties in reading the screen on the handset - (to be rectified early next year).

the problem is, if anyone of your family as completed an online order form for a product, your number is passed on to these people and even if registered with TPS it won't stop them ringing you.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Tps is a voluntarly code of practice, a lot of calls originate off shore even tho a UK number is shown, this number is easy to spoof.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks all.

Some Christmas turkey and Christmas pudding and things will look brighter and no more thoughts of white sticks.

Should be posting in the lounge, perhaps.

At least there are no more urgent calls pending.

Even genuine callers can be display as "private caller". Someone I know changed to another supplier - Talk Talk - and found that they are now ex directory, by default. 

Merry Christmas all!

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Being ex-directory does not necessarily stop these marketing calls, a lot of companys use a dialling system that will target an exchange area and start dialling numbers . So it could start at 01234 123456 then 123457, 123458 etc etc, if there happens to be an ex-directory number or a payphone or an AA box in amongst the batch of numbers then hey what all the call centre is looking for is an answer from someone.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@Devon_Dave wrote:

an AA box

For our younger readers ...

Spoiler
Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I keep getting these calls too, and the number is 02079999974. So I investigated. You cant call this number, but try to find it and under the area code listings which is a useful document it shows who is allocated what block of numbers.

"Gotcha" I think. the list shows BT/TalkTalk/Government/everybodyelse who have blocks of numbers allocated to them for use, BUT. The block 0207-999-9*** is listed as "blocked". WHY? Are BT hiding something? A conspiracy theorist might say this is a cover for BT marketing who have an "agreement" with these PPI people to allow them to keep making these annoying calls and not be traced back. Because if we could see who the company is behind it, we could all sue them for nuisance calls and WIN just like that guy did last month. Or we could call their main switchboard and ask to speak to their Director to give him a mouthful. He would soon get fed up with all our "nuisance" calls.

"Fed up with nuisance PPI calls? End them now by suing the company direct, quoting the case last month where they were successfully sued and Mr X for London who won £200!!"

Only problem is these PPI companies hide behind faceless "Blocked" telephone numbers and you cant find out who they are!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@Devon_Dave wrote:

Being ex-directory does not necessarily stop these marketing calls, a lot of companys use a dialling system that will target an exchange area and start dialling numbers . So it could start at 01234 123456 then 123457, 123458 etc etc, if there happens to be an ex-directory number or a payphone or an AA box in amongst the batch of numbers then hey what all the call centre is looking for is an answer from someone.

Just a brief recap.

I was just make a quip about the irony of a situation.

If you move to another supplier, then why should BT put you in their phone book?

Not being in The Phone Book can have many disadvantages, as I have discovered recently when trying to contact people.

0 Ratings